Chapter 39

"Jesus! Put the gun away! Will,tell him!" He turned his eyes, looking desperately to Marie. "Marie?"

"Raven," Marie and Will both said at the same time. Their eyes met and Marie frowned at him.

"Let him go, Raven," Will said. "We heard noises and were coming to investigate, that's all."

"Fuckin ass punk," Raven sneered pulling him up by the shirt collar and pushing him away.

As he staggered back Will caught his arm pulling him close. "It's alright," he whispered. "Raven's cool, he'll understand."

"Oh yeah, he's real cool Will," he said brushing dust off clothes. "he just held a fuckin gun against my head."

Raven, still holding his gun, cast a quick glance behind him at Marie. "You know him?"

Marie nodded. "From school, Mike, and that's Will."

"My understanding only goes so far," Raven said confronting the two. "I have questions, and depending on the answers, will determine how understanding I'll be. We'll start off with a couple easy ones just to see. Why are you here? Which one of you is Volto? I know it's one of you. Will?" He turned the gun toward Will. "Nah, not bold enough. You?" he asked turning the weapon back. "You might be bold enough or dumb enough. But you don't seem brave right now."

Ignoring the questions Mike straightened his shoulders and looked Raven in the eyes. "You know you're trespassing." He smirked nodding towards the gun. "You gotta permit for that?"

"Mike, don't." Will warned.

Raven chuckled rubbing his chin with the barrel of the gun before aiming toward Mike and firing.

Will and Mike both jumped when the bullet went through the wall near Mike's leg. Marie sucked in air, her ears rang from the noise of the shot.

"You don't get to be an asshole when you're dealing with me. Try again," Raven said in a commanding voice.

Will shook, his face paled, sweat beaded on his forehead.

Mike said nothing. He glanced at Will seeing his fear. He sighed in defeat before locking eyes with Raven. "I'm Volto," he answered. "They-" His eyes flickered to Marie. "Well, it was her sister that named me that."

"You followed us here...why?" Raven asked.

Mike shook his head. "No we didn't. We heard noises, and came up to see who was here."

"We rented the place from the old couple that own it," Will added.

Raven held his gaze on the two. "Why? And why would they rent it to you two?"

"We told them we're part of a paranormal team that needed a place to train members and try out new gadgets," Mike said with smirk. "And why we're here has nothing to do with you or your friends, so it really doesn't matter."

Mikes curt response took Will by surprise. "I gotta sit down." He slid down the wall pulling his knees up to his chest. Wrapping his arms around his knees he lowered his head taking deep breaths.

Mike looked down at Will nudging him with his foot. He now regrets trying to help Sang, if he had taken the time to look at her homelife, really look, he would have known what was happening and did things differently. But he let his hate for the Academy and feelings for a pretty girl over shadow rational thought. And then there's Marie, he can't get rid of the images of abuse her mother planted in his head. What a cluster fuck this turned out to be. The guilt he feels is strong. He'd already started to make amends for his part. But now he had to figure out how to get them off the hook with the Academy. Especially Will.