Chapter 26

"Deep breaths, get it together. Just breathe," Marie kept telling herself as she walked across the school parking lot.

Her fingers touched her lips. He kissed her! And not just a little peck, this was a real spine tingling kiss. Just like Jay's, and the one with Raven. Even though the one with Raven had freaked her out at the time, it still took her breath away.

What are they doing to her? she wondered. Maybe she was being foolish or naive, but each one, in their own way had found a spot in her heart. What did it all mean? It seemed unlikely that they could really be interested in her. Was it a competition? Could it be a game between them to see which one took my heart first? Or was this just another mission for them, and playing with her was just a way to pass the time. No, that didn't feel right, it didn't fit with who they are.

Or maybe she's the problem. Marie focused on the pavement as she walked. Was she so desperate for love or security that she was leading them on? Could that be it? No, she knew she wasn't trying to lead them on, not intentionally anyway.

She was officially going to lose her mind if she didn't get it figured out. The problem was she had no life experiences to fall back on. Hell, at seventeen what life experiences does anyone really have? And with the way she was raised, what the hell did she know about anything?

She knew what she wanted, it happened for Sang. So why not for her too? But then she reminded herself who she was. A bad seed, a product of two sick twisted people. And that made her wish all but impossible. 

Wish in one hand, shit in another. Is that a real quote? Marie wondered, hiking her school bag higher on her shoulder.

"Really. You need to just stop. You're your own worst enemy," she chastised herself quietly as she walked along. "Always bringing myself down. I always do this! Why? It's time to put your big girl pants on and deal. Gotta problem? Talk it out with them. That's what they tell you. So trust them, dammit!"

Marie rolled her eyes chuckling to herself as she glanced around. If she doesn't shut up, they'll be rumors around school about her talking to herself. And that sure wouldn't be good. 

There's nothing to be done about it now anyway. She thought. Later, when they're all together, lay it all out for them. Tell them how you feel, ask them what they're thinking. At least then you'll know where you stand. Think about that kiss instead, that earth shattering freaking kiss.

"It was epic," she sighed dreamily.

Marie was back on cloud nine walking into the school's courtyard. She failed to notice she was being watched. Flashes of interest crossed a few of the guy's faces as she walked past, some confused as to why they hadn't really noticed her before. A few girls glared, other girls smiled. But to most, she was just another face. Yet Marie so lost in her thoughts, she was oblivious to it all. So oblivious, she didn't notice she was being tracked.

Danielle skirted around the crowds of students keeping Marie in her sights. She was looking for a chance to confront her. She wanted to ruin Marie, once and for all.

Another set of eyes watched with interest from a window overlooking the courtyard. Volto, unlike the other students, had seen Marie in the parking lot. He watched the different reactions she was getting when she walked by. Shaking his head, he chuckled when he noticed Danielle stalking her.

His eyes searched out Sang. As usual she was sitting on a bench with the Academy guys sitting around her. They never left her side. Possessive bastards. They made it almost impossible for him to get near her. If she wasn't with all of them, then they made sure at least one or two were always with her. They never left her alone and unprotected.