Chapter 27

Marie couldn't keep the smile off her face once she was in the car.

Jay tilted his head and smirked. "What? You didn't think I could multitask?"

"I'm glad you can, or I might have landed on the concrete."

"I'd never drop you," he told her confidently as he started his car.

Marie stared out her window debating on how to bring up the subject of Marc. It couldn't go on like this, she was in uncharted territory and the more time she let pass, the harder it was going to be for her.

She glanced at Jay as he reached down for the shifter. Putting her hand on top of his, she stopped him before he put the car in gear.

"What?" he asked turning his hand over to hold hers.

"Before you take me home, I want to talk to you about what happened today."

"I know about it." he told her, turning in the seat to face her. "Rocky told me all about your run in with Danielle. You handled that well by the way."

"But earlier, when Marc brought me to school."

He put two fingers over her mouth and smiled with a trace of humor in his eyes. "I know about that too. Marc told me, and then North called, chewing my ass because Marc wasn't thinking."

"I feel like I did something wrong," She drew in a jagged breath and continued. "You and I had gotten close, and my feelings for you are so strong. But I feel things I shouldn't for all of you. I don't mean to lead anyone on, I really don't. I'm having arguments with myself over everything, I just get so confused."

"Marie stop," he said, his voice gentle. He took a lock of her hair, twisting it between his fingers. "This is our fault, not yours. We should have talked about it before, but things happened...I'm sorry, that's a poor excuse. Believe me when I tell you, you've done nothing wrong."

When she didn't look convinced, he leaned back in his seat, shutting off the car. Tapping the steering wheel he thought about the best way to get through to her. He knew, that besides the abuse from her father, she had been mentally beaten down by her mother. To him, it meant that no matter how many times they try to tell her, her insecurities will make it almost impossible for her to fully believe them. He smiled when it came to him, this girl needed to be shown, more than told.

Pulling out his phone he looked at the time. "The rest of them won't be around for a couple hours yet," he told her as he typed out a group text. "But I'm calling a family meeting. We let this go long enough."

"You called a family meeting?" She asked feeling desperate. "I don't want to face everyone at once. It was terrifying before telling about my dad! Now you want me to face everyone and say what? Hi guys, I made out with both Marc and Jay today. And, hey Raven, I secretly loved when you kissed me. Oh and by the way I have really strong feelings for the rest of you, too."

She grabbed his arm in a panic. "Jay, please don't make me do that! I'm sorry I'm the way I am! I never thought I'd be that type of girl. But dammit! You all make it too easy. All of you have gotten so close to me, I almost convinced myself that what Sang has is possible for me too."

Startled, he stared at her tortured expression. "Hey, no, that's not what I meant. It's us that have things to tell you."

She covered her face with both hands, leaning her head against the headrest moaning. "Oh, god, I'm going to hell."

Jay grabbed ahold of both of her wrists with one hand. "Marie, look at me," he demanded.

She wanted to resist, but his tone made it all but impossible. She let him lower her wrists, and opened her eyes.