Chapter 40

Victor Morgan rocked back in the office chair trying to catch his breath. He'd never seen anything like it, his stomach literally hurt. He swiveled the chair around facing Mr.Blackbourne and Axel.  

"I'm sorry Mr.B, Axel. When I came across the program labeled Jasmine I was curious, so I ran it. And when they came up on the screen, I couldn't...it was like watching a train wreck, you're uncomfortable, but just can't help yourself," his voice trailed off.

Axel was leaning forward with his head down. His elbows were resting on his knees as he rubbed the sides of his nose with his index fingers. Victor couldn't be sure, but it looked like he was biting the inside of his cheek.

Mr. Blackbourne cleared his throat adjusting his tie. "It's fine, Mr. Morgan." His voice caught and he shifted in his seat. The corner of his mouth twitched.

"I was about to shut the program down," Victor continued. "But when Gabe froze and that piece of jerky slipped out of his mouth, and then the way Marie's eyes tracked it to the floor... it seemed like it was happening in slow motion. I couldn't look away."

"Did Marie's feet even touch the floor when Luke yanked her off the step?" Axel asked, finally finding his voice.

Silas laughed from the other room. "For a minute there, she kind of reminded me of one of those balloons at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade."

Victor ran his fingers through his hair. "I think the worst was Gabe trying to pick up that piece of pineapple, it was so wet and slippery. It was like a tiny hockey puck sliding around. He was trying to hurry and every time you thought he had it, it popped out from between his fingers."

"Please tell me you saved a copy of that," Silas pleaded.

Victor ignored Silas, but had a slight grin on his face that he lost when he turned to Will. It had to be a coincidence, it just wasn't possible, he told himself. But he had to be sure. "Jasmine?" Victor asked.

"Sense of smell has a strong impact on the brain." Will started in. He was proud of his program. "And fear is a powerful motivator. We needed something to -"

"Scare the hell out of anyone snooping around," Mike broke in, interrupting Will.

Will nodded, conceding to Mike. "That's basically it. It's the scent of Mike's cologne, so we used that smell and I named the program after it." His voice trailed off as his cheeks tinted and he adjusted his glasses.

"Touching," Axel growled out. "But what I want to know is how much of Marie's money was wasted on all this." He stood and studied the room. Putting his hands flat on the table he leaned in looking hard at Mike and Will. "From the looks of your set up, I'd say all of it."

He straightened and addressed the room. "We've all had our laugh at their expense, it ends now. Owen, do you want me to take lead on this, or do you want the honor?"

Mr. Blackbourne steadied his gaze on Will and Mike. The room became quiet. "You've managed to stay off our radar for a long time," he said to Mike. "You've gone to a great deal of trouble to pull off what you did. What did you honestly hoped to gain?"

Mike smirked, but it was forced. "Hurt the Academy, get the girl, get out from Hendricks breathing down our necks." He shrugged. "Any or all. Take your pick." Mike knew he was screwed, but he wouldn't, no, couldn't, let them see that.

Axel blinked, rubbing a hand across his face. "I can't stay in here. I want to nail the bastards ass to the fucking wall." He turned toward the doorway. "Corey, trade places with me."

Corey waited for Axel to come out before ducking his head in the doorway. The ceiling was too low for him and he had to stay hunched until he was seated next to Victor, who handed him a laptop.