Chapter 23

"Scrambled eggs and bacon?" Kevin said, looking over Mindy's shoulder. "Looks like you made plenty."

"Uh huh," Mindy mumbled absently, as she stirred the eggs in the pan before looking at Kevin. "Marie said Mrs.S wasn't awake when she was getting ready for school, so I told her I'd make her mother a late one. I'm wondering if the stress from last night was too much for her...healthwise."

"Do we really care?" Kevin said snagging a piece of bacon. "Hey, sausage too?" He grabbed a sausage link tossing it to Chase, who caught it with ease. "I'm surprised Marie went to school."

Mindy rolled her eyes. "Stop it! Axel told Marie not to feed him people food." She handed Kevin the spatula. "Watch these for me? I need to check on Mrs.S."

"Sure baby." Kevin stirred the eggs and grabbed another sausage link. "Psst, Chase."

Chase, already standing at attention, waited.

"Go high!" Kevin told him tossing another link higher this time. He chuckled as Chase jumped up, catching it. "What Axel don't know, won't hurt him, right Chase?"

Kevin tasted the eggs. "These are some bland scrambled eggs, right here. We need to liven these babies up! Put a little pizzazz in the pan."

Opening the cupboard near the stove, he moved spices around as he searched. "Alright Chase, we got some parsley here, garlic, oh hell yes, cayenne pepper. And I know there's some onion and green peppers already chopped up in the fridge."

Chase whined as he watched Kevin add spices to the pan. Hearing him, Kevin flipped a strip of bacon his way before he got out the onions, and peppers.

Chase happily licked his nose and muzzle, his eyes never leaving Kevin as he waited in anticipation for another delectable piece of goodness, to be tossed his way. There was also the chance of clean up duty, if anything landed on the floor. He had to be alert.

"Now that's what I'm talking about!" Kevin exclaimed as he tasted the eggs. He picked up another piece out of the pan, blowing on it before offering it to Chase.

He filled three plates heaping with scrambled eggs, adding four strips of bacon, and four sausages, to each plate.

"That woman is in a mood today," Mindy grumbled coming into the kitchen. "Oh, you got the plates ready! Thanks Kev." She kissed him on the cheek before putting a plate, and a bottle of water, and a glass of juice on a tray. "I don't know if she can eat all this, we'll see," she said leaving the kitchen with the tray.

Chase followed Mindy. He slipped into Mrs.Sorenson's bedroom unnoticed, crawling under her bed.

Mrs.Sorenson was lying on her bed watching television. She didn't acknowledge Mindy in any way, when she came into her room.

"Brunch today, Mrs.S," Mindy announced, taking the plate and drinks off the tray, and setting them on the small dinette table. "Enjoy, yell if you need anything."

Mrs. Sorenson waited until Mindy left, before going to the table. Sitting down, she continued to watch tv as she ate a strip of bacon.

Chase's eyes zeroed in on the bacon.

Picking up her fork, she took a big bite of egg. "Gah! Are they trying to kill me? What the hell did they put in this?" She tossed her fork aside, and went into the bathroom.

Chase saw his chance. Darting out from under the bed, he lifted himself, resting his front paws on the tabletop. A few seconds was all it took for him to clean her plate. After a couple quick sniffs and licks to make sure nothing was left behind, he scurried back under the bed, just as Mrs.S came out of the bathroom.