Chapter 38

Big Billy's Burger Joint boasted as having the best burgers in Charleston, and Marie could believe it. She studied her burger knowing that there was no way to eat this monstrosity without making a mess. She didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Picking it up with both hands she thought to hell with the mess and took a giant bite.

"This is really elk meat?" she asked setting her burger down. Wiping her mouth with a paper napkin, she picked up a fry.

"That's what the menu says." Raven nodded to her burger. "You like?"

"I do," Marie said dunking her fry in ketchup.

"The sign says we can go wild every day of the week." Raven grinned and wiggled his eyebrows. "Is that something you'd like to do?"

Her mouth quirked in an amused smile. Ignoring Raven's innuendo, she tried out one of her own. "I think with the right incentive, I could probably be persuaded. Is that something all of us could do... together? Do you think?" She ran her tongue slowly over her lips feigning an innocent look.

Raven reached across the table lifting her hand. Never breaking eye contact, he lightly brushed along the inside of her wrist with his lips.

Marie held her breath feeling a shiver run through her.

"My Goldie," he said in a low raspy voice. He kissed her wrist once more before lowering her hand to the table.

"You can ask," he said, abruptly picking up his elk burger. "If they agree. We come back on Tuesday and try out gator burgers."

Confused, she leaned back in her seat to look at him. What just happened? She knew she had a lot to learn when it came to teasing and joking around. Maybe she just failed in her attempt and they both misunderstood each other.

"Or Monday," she said, looking at the sign on the wall, her voice becoming subdued. "It's wild boar burger night."

Raven looked at her with an amused smile. Logic told him to let it go, but he didn't always listen. "Just to be clear, I'm up for most anything. But not all of them would be."

She laughed nervously. He could see the blush creeping up her face. Seeing her squirm was starting to become one of his favorite things. His thoughts turned to what it would be like to feel her squirm under him. He shifted in his chair, trying to relieve the building pressure in his pants.

"Yeah, well...I'm not too sure of that myself." Her blush deepened. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and reached for her drink.

"Not now. But with time. . .maybe." Raven gave half a shrug and left it like that.

Looking at him, he seemed to act like doing that would be no big deal. It made her wonder if that was something they might have done before with -  Marie stopped herself. She knew she needed to keep her mind from going down that road. But she hadn't been with any of them in that way yet, and the thought of being with more than one at the same time seemed daunting. Would she ever be confident enough in herself to do that? Marie knew she needed to get her mind off of that subject.

"My mom caught Sang at the house today. And she overheard us talking about me getting married. Of course she thinks I'm pregnant. She started in and I kind of lost it. It got pretty heated."

Marie paused looking around the room. The place was full of families, some probably just getting out of church. Everywhere she looked, they all seemed happy just being together.

A sigh escaped her lips and she met Raven's eyes. "I think she had a moment where she thought about hitting me with her cane. If Gabriel hadn't stepped in front of me..."