Chapter 12

Brandon walked into the kitchen with his black canvas roll bag slung over one shoulder. In his other hand he carried Raven's olive colored gear bag. 

"What are you doing?" Axel asked when Brandon met his questioning gaze.

"Staying here with Jay, I thought Raven was probably thinking the same thing," he said as he handed Raven his bag.

"Good idea," Raven took his bag and slapped Jay on the back of his shoulder. "We have catching up to do little brother."

Jay,standing tall at just over of six-two grinned at Raven."I don't think little's gonna cut it anymore, Raven."

Raven scrutinized Jay's solid muscular frame."Two twenty?"

"Two twenty five."

Raven paused before rolling his eyes, a predatory smile crossing his face as he turned to Axel. "We're staying with baby brother."

Axel and Kevin shared a look before Axel turned his attention back to Brandon, Raven, and Jay. Drumming his fingers on the island counter and leaned forward. "I shouldn't have to remind you three to consider this a job. That means no roughhousing, save it for the gym."

"Yeah Jay, what the fuck were you thinking?" Brandon teased jabbing Jay in the ribs. "Raven and I aren't teenagers anymore. We're suppose to be responsible adults."  

Jay cracked a smile, not saying a word. It felt like a weight was finally lifted from his shoulders. The pain, and loneliness he had dealt with the past few years seemed to fade as he stood with four of his six brothers.

Leaning against a stool at the kitchen island, Kevin was curious about Jay. "Jay, what's your plans now that you're back? You know you don't have to stay at that school."

He couldn't help but look at Jay's scar. It took thirty two stitches to close what his sister had done in a fit of jealous rage. They had all tried to convince him to stay, but Jay was sure that leaving them was the best for everyone. Regretfully, they accepted his decision, knowing Jay's uncle would try to keep on top of things. And they stuck to the no direct contact rule unless initiated by Jay. But that didn't mean they didn't keep tabs on him, the Academy would always be there for him. Kevin even went so far as to buy a small home for him and Mindy a block away from Jay's. Kevin needed to be close. Jay's sister was a big worry for them, but they knew their hands were tied when it came to her. They had to rely on Jay's uncle, and to certain extent his parents when it came to her.

His other worry was that Jay would slip back into his criminal ways. As a young teen, Jay was attracted to the criminal lifestyle. He was mixed up in stealing cars for a chop shop and an underground fight club ring, one that used young teens to fight right along with the adults. For as young as he was, he was good at what he did, too good. It was a relief to the team that Jay had kept his nose clean. Now finally, he came home. He belonged with them.

"I thought I'd stick it out," Jay told him, "there's only a few months left. And since I'm a senior, I thought I might as well stay and graduate."

Kevin nodded. "Sounds reasonable. So if you're going to school tomorrow, don't bother getting Marie to go. Dr. Green wants her to sleep as long as she can." He jerked his chin in the direction of the refrigerator. "If I'm not here when she gets up tomorrow, there's more soup in there for her. Someone needs to make sure she eats."

"I'm going home. I'll see you tomorrow." Axel turned to leave before suddenly stopping and turning back to Jay. "I'll check tomorrow about getting a three bedroom apartment for you, Corey, and Brandon."

Brandon shuffled on his feet. His blue eyes reluctantly meeting Axel's."Maybe it's time we looked for a place somewhere else." He shot a glance at Raven who was chewing on his lip ring. "For all of us," he added locking eyes with Axel. "I hate being there now, and I know I'm not the only one."