Chapter 57

Jay pulled into the driveway, parking his car beside Mindy's. When he shut off the engine, they both leaned their heads against the headrests staring at the house. After sitting in silence for a few moments, Jay reached back between the bucket seats, lifting the urn to the front. He rested it on the console between them.

"Marie," he said. "Are you sure you're okay? It doesn't have to be today, you know. Or ever. She can die not ever knowing."

"I know," Marie said, chewing on her lower lip. "I just feel it's the right thing to do."

She reached for the urn, but Jay stopped her. "Let me."

"I hope the next people that live in this house make it a home," she said, as they walked to the front door. "It's a nice house. It deserves happy."

"Hey." Mindy came out of the kitchen meeting them in the entryway. She glanced at the urn, giving Marie a sympathetic smile. "A lots happened in a short time. You doing okay?"

"Yeah, I think so," Marie answered with a nod. "All I can do is face what comes and try to deal with it the best way I can." Her face warmed as she looked at Jay. "It helps having my guys to support me." Turning back to Mindy she asked, "How's she doing, anyway? Will she understand, do you think?"

"She should. And since she's been on benzos she hasn't been getting as agitated. So I doubt if she'll go off on you. There for awhile, it was so severe, which was why we were having trouble getting her a spot in the care facility. But she's weak, Marie. I really don't see her lasting much longer. Do you want me to go in with you?"

"No, I need to do this on my own. Knowing you two will be close by helps."

Mindy looked at her watch. "I've got another hour before Kelly and Patricia come for their shift. If you need anything, I'll be in the laundry room."

Marie was tense walking down the hallway to her mothers room. At the closed door she stopped, turning to Jay. "This is it." She blew out a breath and reached for the urn he held.

"You don't have to do this alone."

"I need to, Jay."

He nodded reluctantly. "I'll be right outside the door."

Her hands were shaking when she held her father's remains for the first time. Jay reached behind her and pushed open the door. Straightening her back, she schooled her features with a look of determination. "Here goes," she whispered. Taking a deep breath, she walked boldly into her mother's bedroom.

The sun cast a warm glow into the room. It would have been a pleasant space, if not for the woman lying in the bed. She was thinner, her face gaunt. Her brown hair streaked with gray. It was like she'd aged ten years in the two weeks since Marie had last seen her.

At that time, she'd been asleep and wasn't aware that Marie was even there. Now was a different story. Her mouth set in a thin, bitter line. Brown lackluster eyes bored into the rich amber colored eyes of Marie's.

"What do you want?" she sneered in a gravelly voice.

Marie squared her shoulders and slightly moved the urn in her hands. "I don't want anything. I brought you something. Your husband."

Her eyes landed on the urn. "What are you talking about, you sick delusional girl?"

Marie chuckled low in her throat. "Sick and delusional, huh? Say what you want, it doesn't matter to me. I just wanted you to know, he died. I had him cremated and thought you'd want him with you, so here he is." She turned, walking over to a tall chest of drawers. Reaching up, she moved two old collector dolls aside. She set the urn down in the center, repositioning the dolls next to it.