Chapter 14

"Jay, can I ask you something?"

"What is it?" he asked, his arms still around her.

"Do I look like I'm easy? Do I act like I'm a slut?"

Shocked and instantly pissed off, Jay gripped her shoulders and looked down into her face. "No! Where would you even get an idea like that? Did someone tell you that?"

Marie closed her eyes briefly taking a deep breath. She watched him closely, wanting to see his reaction when she told him. "Raven kissed me," she whispered, "I don't know why he did it. I'm worried that maybe since I changed my hair and wear different clothes, I give guys the idea that I'm easy. But I'm not though!"

"Shit," Jay growled shaking his head. His mind went wild. She was one of the few girls that had ever caught his attention, but he had held off. She was so insecure, and he wanted her to be comfortable around him before he went to the next level. Then Raven had to jump in. Not that he could begrudged him, really. How could he? He just wished it was him that kissed her first.   

Marie's face went pale, she averted her eyes from his. Jay realised she must think he was angry with her. "Hey, no, don't look like that, I'm not mad at you, honest." Putting a finger under her chin, he tilted her head up so she'd have to look at him. "I shouldn't even be surprised he'd do that. Marie, I'm always going to be honest with you. So believe me when I tell you that you don't look or act like a slut. If you did, Raven wouldn't have kissed you. Trust me. You look nice, really nice."

" It makes no sense." She chewed her lower lip as she frowned.

"Would you believe me if I told you he couldn't resist?" Jay swallowed hard as he tried to force his eyes away from her mouth. His voice became husky. "It's a lot of reasons really. I bet he felt an instant connection to you. Maybe he thinks your eyes are captivating. Or he likes the way you bite your bottom lip when you feel vulnerable. It could even be the sound of your laugh, it's like a song. Your voice, did you know your voice is kind of sultry? And your lips, they look so incredibly soft, and kissable..." Jay paused when he found he had been leaning into her. One hand was cupping the back of her head, his fingers had snaked through her hair. He didn't remember when that happened.

Her eyebrows rose."Jay?"

"Marie..." He pulled her head closer and breathed out as their mouths almost touched.

They both heard the clank of tools in the doorway but didn't pull away from each other.

"Oh, sorry," Silas said as he surveyed the situation."Don't mind me, I'm just going to hook up a water line." Both both heard him chuckle as he continued down the hall.

"Busy place," Jay said with a grin as he finally captured her lips with his.

Marie was in a daze as she walked into her mother's room with Jay. She'd only been out of bed for about ninety minutes and already had been kissed twice. But she was going to trust Jay, and try not to worry about it. She's putting those kisses to the back of her mind, for now anyway.

She blinked in surprise when she saw all the guys in the room. There's eight guys in her house, she thought looking around the room, and all of them hot. How is that even possible? They can't be so perfect. They have to have flaws. She glanced up at Jay. Some might see his scar as a flaw. But it's like a battle scar that only adds to his character. She looked into the bathroom and saw Silas and Raven working on the plumbing. Nope, not a plumber's crack in sight. Even though Silas is younger and she has no interest in him, she still appreciates his good looks.