Chapter 50

Suffer through an agonizingly long, boring graduation ceremony? Check. Appropriate clothes for an upscale French restaurant? Check. Pleasant smile? Check. The ability to engage in small talk? Half a check. Allowing that feeling of being inferior to creep up while sharing a table at a hoity toity restaurant with Jay's parents? Triple check.

If it weren't for the warmth of Jay's hand resting on her knee under the table, giving her a sense of security, she'd have come up with an excuse to leave early. But knowing this would be the last time he'd see his parents for a while, Marie was willing to grin and bare it.

"Get a grip," she silently told herself. "Show some backbone for god's sake."

As Jay's mother prattled on about people Marie had never heard of, she let her mind drift, while still smiling and nodding at the proper times. Their week had been amazing. Marie had memorized every moment.

Intimacy, she'd learned, was so much more than a physical act. From the simplest of touches, to every gentle caress, they explored and learned about each other. And in the afterglow of their love making, they each felt completed, treasured. They were confident in their promises of forever. Casting a sly glance at Jay, she hid a smile knowing there was something else he'd rather be doing than sitting in a restaurant. She squeezed his hand under the table. He squeezed back, glancing at her before giving her a knowing grin.

She'd made a conscious effort to let her feet heal over the week. Furniture for the family room and her bedroom was one of their priorities. They avoided the formal living room, thinking that room could be filled over time. They'd searched online, picking out the style for the family room that they thought everyone would have agreed to if they were all home together. Then, she'd ride along with Jay to furniture stores. But being careful of her feet, she'd wait in the car while he'd go inside, seeing the pieces first hand, before arranging for delivery.

She done a good job keeping thoughts about the others in the back of her mind. The week was all about Jay and her. But sitting alone in the car she allowed her mind to drift to the guys. Her heart ached, she missed them so much. Even though she knew they weren't in Charleston, she found herself searching for them in the crowds of people that passed by on the sidewalks. She didn't know why she tortured herself doing that. Once Jay was back in the car, she was always able to put the guys to the back of her mind and carry on. Like Corey had said, this week was their time.

Jay's parents were in and out of the house a lot more than they both would have liked. She had to give his parents credit though, even with their disapproval of his lifestyle choices, they seemed to be making a real effort with her.

Marie had her secret hopes, but was certain it was all an act. She knew that if his parents had had a choice, she'd be the last girl they'd want to see their son with. She didn't come from wealth and she certainly didn't have the breeding the William's thought was so important. Appearance was everything to them, which is why their daughter was hidden away in an institution in another country. Couldn't have their elite Charleston friends know their daughter was insane, oh no. It was a testament to Jay, that he hadn't grown up a snob. Still, she wanted so much to be wrong and to be accepted by them.

Camille was a force to be reckoned with. A person that didn't believe in wasting time. She had men in and out of the house packing up her ice cream parlor, getting everything ready for shipping. She oversaw every detail. To Marie it was sad watching the once pretty ice cream parlor became a barren, lonely room. Almost as sad as the empty bedroom upstairs that Jay kept locked. She'd never been inside, but he had allowed her to stick her head in for a quick glimpse one day when her curiosity had gotten the better of her.