Chapter 15

Marie sat at the kitchen island alone eating the rest of the soup Kevin insisted on heating up for her. She wished Jay was here. He had to leave saying he'd be back later His parents were flying in and he had to see them. And something about them selling their house. But she wasn't sure if she heard him right, she was still stunned by Axel. 

She kept seeing the look in Axel's face before he walked away. Was it look of disgust? Repulsion? It was hard for her to pinpoint exactly what the look meant. All she knew was her first thought was that he hated her. After he walked out, she was afraid to turn back around. Afraid of what she'd see in the faces of the others.

Kevin had come to her rescue. He had hustled her out of there so fast with the excuse of her needing to eat. He hadn't said much about Axel, only that it's just his way. That he's a self-controlled, matter of fact kind of guy. And that she'd understand the more she was around him. Marie wasn't too sure of that. She couldn't see Axel wanting to be around her anymore than was necessary.

The soup felt like a lead weight in her stomach, but she forced herself to eat. She had heard the front door open and close a few times and later the sound of footsteps going upstairs. But she didn't care.

She needed a distraction, something, but she didn't know what. The feeling of the walls closing in was starting to get to her. She was suffocating, she needed to get out.

After washing her bowl and spoon, she put them in the dish rack to dry. With a soapy dishcloth she absentmindedly wiped down the island countertop. Pausing in mid wipe she narrowed her eyes at the cloth in her hand. "I've always been the messy one. When the hell did I start cleaning up after myself? Gah!" She tossed the dishcloth over to the sink.

Marie went up the stairs to get her bag. She was sure she could get out of the house without anyone noticing. Reaching the landing, she heard noises coming from Sang's old room. Her jaw dropped when she looked in. Sang and Silas were standing in the middle of the room kissing, their arms wrapped around each other in a tight embrace. She was dumbfounded. Her eyes darted to Gabriel who was sitting at the end of the bed texting like he didn't have a care in the world.

"What the fuck?" Marie yelled. She pointed at Sang and Silas, and looked questionably at Gabriel. "I thought you said you were her boyfriend? You're okay with this?"

Sang paled, she had a pained expression on her face, but didn't leave Silas's side. He put an arm protectively around her. Marie watched as the three of them shared a meaningful look.

"Sang?" Marie, her face full of suspicion, stared at her sister. "What's going on? Are these guys making you do things with them? Did they say they'd leave you if you didn't?"

"Oh no, don't you even fucking go there! Who do you think you are?" Gabriel launched off the bed getting in Marie's face. "You don't know shit! We'd never do that to her. None of us would force anything on her. Unlike you and your fucking parents, we'd never hurt her!"

"Gabriel stop." Sang had come up next to Gabriel putting a hand on his arm. "She doesn't understand."

"You're right Sang, I don't understand." Marie replied before turning to Gabriel pointing her finger at him. "Don't you ever put me in the same category as my parents."

Silas stepped closer. "She should know. It's time. All ten of us need to sit down and explain everything to her. Marie has some things going on herself, so she's going to have a lot of questions." He gave Marie a knowing look. "You know I saw you with Jay, and then Raven talked to me."

Marie frowned tilting her head at Silas giving him a confused look. Her eyes widened when it registered with her what he was implying. "Ah shit," she muttered before squaring her shoulders and looking him in the eye. "Silas, I don't even know what that was about myself!  But even so, it's not the same. You can't compare those two, and you three. And what's any of this have to do with me talking to all of you?"