Chapter 56

"Oh no, you don't." Marie stood inside the storm door, locking it. "I mean it, Axel. You aren't bringing it inside." She stared him down, her jaw set in determination.

"What am I supposed to do with it?" Axel held it up close to the screen.

"I don't know." She scanned the backyard. "Put it in the garden shed. I really don't care."

"Garden shed?"

"She means the tool shed," Jay said, coming up behind Marie. He tilted his head looking down at her. "Is it really that big of a deal? I mean its not like its him in the flesh."

"Its a big deal to me," Marie said, looking through the screen at the urn. "He wasn't welcome here when he was alive, I sure as hell don't want his ashes in here."

Axel looked down at the urn he held in his hands. "Fine, I'll stick him . . . somewhere for now."

"Do you want to scatter the ashes or bury them?" Jay asked. "We could even dump him in the ocean."

Axel took a step back from the locked door. "While you figure out what to do with him, he'll be on a shelf in the garage." He turned, bounded down the steps, heading across the yard toward the garage.

"What's wrong?" Hearing the commotion, Raven came into the mud room carrying a peach.

"Marie doesn't want Axel bringing the urn inside," Jay said.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Am I being petty for feeling that way? Its just that this place is sacred, in a way. I just feel that having his ashes in the house will tarnish it. I want my old life and this life separate."

Jay chuckled, toying with a lock of her hair. "No, I understand where you're coming from."

"I thought we were going to have a party on his grave?" Taking a bite out of his peach, Raven took a quick look out the porch window.

Still at the door, Marie snorted, giving him the once over. "What, with party hats, horns and confetti?"

Raven shrugged. "Or beer, vodka and fireworks." His eyes lit up and he suddenly grinned. Barreling past Jay, he shoved his half eaten peach in Marie's hand before gently moving her aside. He was out the door in a flash. "Axel, hold up! Where you taking the ashes? I've got an idea!"

"Now you've done it," Jay said laughing. "Hard telling what he's got up his sleeve." He followed Marie back into the kitchen.

Looking at the half eaten peach she held in her hand, she said, "He can be so wasteful sometimes." With a shrug of her shoulders she finished it, and threw the pit in the trash.

"You know," she finally said after rinsing and wiping her hands with a dish towel. "I really don't care what they do. They can dump him in the ocean or in some swamp, for all I care." Opening the refrigerator, she pulled out a pitcher of sweet tea and began filling glasses for her and Jay. "But whatever they come up with will have to wait until my mom dies. That way we only have to deal with ashes once."

"You don't want them buried in a cemetery?" Jay asked, taking a glass from her.

"Nope. Why buy a plot? I'll never visit, and I know Sang won't." She went over to the window that faced the garage pulling aside the curtain. "You know, I don't even like his ashes being this close." She turned back, facing Jay. "Could you drive me to Summerville? I think I'll let my mother have his urn. She can lie in bed and stare at it all day."

Jay's dark eyes narrowed and he grinned. "Sure."

"Thanks, Jay." She smiled, stretched up on her toes kissing him once on the mouth.