Chapter 10

By the time Monday morning came, Marie knew she was in trouble. She didn't know how many times she was woken up by her mother's voice calling her name. Then the dreams started. Her mother was after her and Sang. Marie could remember feeling like she was running away, but never getting anywhere. Her mother was always right behind them. She woke up exhausted and stressed out. Knowing her mom was coming home had to be what was causing this. She needed sleep. And if she didn't get it together by the time her mother came home, she would fail. Her mom could spot weakness and would use it to her advantage.

Her head was pounding by the time she was ready for school. Marie felt strung out, she couldn't think straight, and her legs even felt weak. She wanted to skip, but couldn't deal with the problems that could bring.

She remembered to grab Jay's hoodie before locking the front door. "Dang It!" She whined as she stood on her front steps remembering she'd have to ride the bus. She usually rode with Danielle and Derrick. But that's not happening anymore. She looked over at Kota's house, his car was gone. No cars at Nathan's either.

Marie cursed as she wondered why they always had to leave so early. Resigned to her fate, she walked to the school bus stop near Kota's house.

Growing up, Marie had mastered the art of elusion. It was easy to blend in, to go unnoticed. She needed to avoid Danielle, she wasn't herself today and didn't think she could handle a confrontation. Being so exhausted she was barely hanging on as it was.

All morning, in every class she sat in the back, behind guys who unknowingly blocked anyones view of her. She kept to herself and went unnoticed.

By the time lunch came, Marie knew she wouldn't be able to last the day. She was standing in front of her open locker going through the motions of arranging her books. But in reality, she was trying to think. She decided she needed to hunt up Dr.Green and tell him what was going on, surely he would help. If she couldn't find him, she'd muster her courage and go out into the courtyard and see if Kota or one of the other's could take her home.

"There you are." Marie inwardly groaned when she heard Danielle's voice. Danielle, with a fake smile that Marie knew so well, stood boldly with her arms crossed staring at her. "Are you ready to apologise?" she asked Marie.

Marie choked back a laugh. "Apologise for what? For you being a bitch?"

"I can make your life very hard at this school. Think about that Marie."

"Give it your best shot, Danielle."

Marie heard Danielle suck in a breath. "What the hell is Jay Williams' hoodie doing in your locker?"

Marie looked at the hoodie, she hadn't paid enough attention when he loaned it to her, to see that his last name and his football number was on the back. Marie smirked at Danielle. "Well, if I had to guess, I'd say it looks like it's just hanging there."

"Don't be a smart ass bitch to me Marie! Why do you have his hoodie? Does the virgin Marie really think she has what it takes to get someone like him?" She taunted Marie as she seethed. "You better stay away from him. He's going to be mine."

"Since when?" Jay asked. Neither girl had noticed him leaning against the lockers across the hall, listening to everything Danielle had said. He pushed himself off the lockers and walked over to them.

Anger flashed across his face. "What's it going to take to convince you that I have zero interest in you?" His eyes narrowed at Danielle as he leaned in close to her, his voice was low and threatening, "I don't like you, I never have. Get it through your head. It's. Never. Going. To. Happen. Do you get it now?"