Chapter 29

"I think we need to make a run for it!" Jay yelled grabbing Marie's hand once they were back on solid ground.

Thunder crashed overhead as cold rain pelted their skin. Jay held her hand tight as they ran to the house.

Marie was out of breath, but laughing when they jumped a puddle, and reached the landing on the back steps.

"I feel like a drowned rat!" Marie said laughing as they stood under the overhang near the back door. Her hair was completely drenched, and straggled into her eyes. Her clothes were soaked through. But she couldn't keep a smile off her rain soaked face.

A grin swept Jay's face as his fingers brushed her hair back away from her eyes. "Enjoyed that, did ya?" He cupped her cheeks as his wet lips found hers.

Marie leaned into his kiss, her eyes fluttered closed. Another crack of thunder made her jump back at the same time the back door flung open.

Axel stepped out looking between the two. The door swung shut behind him. His mouth dropped open slightly as he took in Marie's appearance. "Don't you two know enough to come in out of the rain?"

"You're back!" Marie forgot herself as she jumped at him wrapping her arms around his neck.

His breath hitched, as he staggered back against the door. Axel gripped her arms moving them from around his neck. "Must have been some nightmare if you're this happy to see me." He sounded detached as he gently pushed her away.

Marie stiffened, her smile fell. She had felt him shudder when she threw herself at him, and knew she had made a mistake.

"Yeah, it was," she mumbled, suddenly feeling self conscious. "Welcome back." She tried to keep her voice light, tried to smile, but was embarrassed. Crossing her arms, she hugged herself looking away.

"Go change," he urged her. "Jay will show you where your bag is."

"My bag?" Marie looked up at Jay, who had been glaring at Axel.

Uncertainty flickered in Jay's eyes as he focused on Marie. "Yeah, you know how we all keep a duffle bag at your place? We thought it would be a good idea if you kept one here. So Brandon and Corey got one together for you."

"Oh, I guess it was pretty smart of them, considering." She held her arms out from her sides.

She followed Jay into the mud room, the door slamming shut behind them.

Not being able to stop herself, she glanced back at Axel through the window. His back was to her. He stood statue still as he watched the sky. She wondered what was going on in his head. Why he seemed to warm up to her one minute and be cold the next.

She knew she'd probably never figure a guy like him out. But one thing was certain, she wasn't going to make the mistake of forgetting herself around him again. It kind of hurt, she had feelings for him and thought they were getting closer.

But apparently Axel has a line drawn that she wasn't allowed to cross. Even so, she still felt drawn to him, and had an immense need to fix him. But what needed fixing, she hadn't a clue.

Marie and Jay took off their wet shoes before going into the sprawling kitchen.

She was impressed, it was like walking into a kitchen from a magazine. From the high end stainless steel appliances, dark quartz countertops, and antique white cabinets, the room was amazing.

A large island with bar stools on one side was in the center of the kitchen. It was darker than the cabinets, the contrast really made the room pop. It was real chefs kitchen, but had a homey, comfortable feel to it also.