Be Happy

I haven't been to school in weeks. There was really no need. I had all my credits and my cap and gown.

That wasn't the reason why. I couldn't show my face. I didn't want to see Trent and I couldn't face Ashton.

Trent has been texting me how he was sorry and Ashton was worried at where I was.

Dylan, Sage and Amari tried calling but I didn't answer. I text Ashton happy birthday and he tried calling but I didn't answer.

I couldn't answer.

He should be with Hope. They had history and she cared about him. I could never give him what she did.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ignored my mother and just sat there. She came over to me and grabbed my hair.

I winced in pain. "You remind me so much of myself Payton." She let go of my hair and sat in front of me.

"Why you here?" She took a cigarette out of the box and lit it.

"I had no where else to go." She grabbed my chin roughly to make me look at her.

"What about that boyfriend of yours?" I shook my head.

"He isn't my boyfriend. He just wanted to help me."

She let go of my chin to take a drag of her cigarette.

"Bullshit Payton."

Why was trying to have an conversation with me.

"Seemed like he cared for." She crossed her legs inhaling more smoke.

"I wouldn't know how that felt." I whispered hoping she didn't here.

"Payton. I should've stopped your dad. I should've been a better mother." I looked up at her to see her looking out the window.

"Why did you let him do that to me? Did you hate me that bad?"

She laughed shaking her head.

"Your dad envied you more than me. He talked about you constantly.How beautiful you are, how smart you was." She looked at her cigarette taking another drag.

"You could say I was jealous but he wasn't only hurting you. He'd beat me and tell me everything he could've done without me." She faked laughed counting. "When he died I didn't think it would hurt as much as it did. I miss him and I blame you. But I can't."

She turned towards me. "Your strong Payton. Something I could never be. I love you Payton and I know I haven't showed it much but I'm working on it getting clean and making it up to you."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" I asked.

"I need to be better. For myself. I have a lot of life ahead of me and I grand child on the way." I wrapped my arms around her neck.

She was hesitant for a moment but wrapped her arms around me. I closed my eyes letting everything sink in.

I never thought we'd ever talk again.

I felt my shirt become wet and I knew she was crying. She pulled away and I could see falling tears.

"How about you help me get this place into shape and we could catch up." She smiled walking towards my door.

A real smile. Something I haven't seen her do in a long time.

"Are you going to sit there or are you going to come help me." I got off the bed and followed her to her room.

-----------------------

"Throw away or keep?"I asked holding up a red dress.  It was pretty and I've never seen her wear it.

"I haven't wore that in ages." She grabbed it from my hand and put it up to her in the mirror.

"What do you think?" She asked turning the dress different positions.

"It'll look great for dinner tonight." I smiled. She turned towards me.

"What dinner?"

"I'm taking you out tonight. Girl time. Somewhere else besides the bar." I could tell she was excited.

"I'll do your hair and make up." I grabbed her bag of makeup and her curling iron.

She turned on her radio and 'Girls Just Want to have fun' came on.

"I love this song." I said separating her hair.

"What do you know about this." We both laughed and began to sing while I curled her hair.

I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Oh girls, they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

I didn't know she could sing. I singed along with her to the rest.

Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Oh girls, they want to have fun.

We both smiled at her each other and I finished her hair and put a little makeup on her.

While she got ready I pulled an old dress out of my closet. It was a long sleeved dress that stopped above my knee with a key hole back. My bump was very noticeable. I straighten my hair and  put on flats.

I walked out to see my mom smiling at herself in the mirror she looked beautiful the red dress fit her perfectly and she was wearing black heels.

"You look great." I complemented. She smiled taking the house keys and we walked to her car.

I drove to an fancy restaurant in the city.

The valet took my keys and we walked inside. They had openings so we could eat here.

Our waiter came.

"Could I take you orders." He was staring at my mom. He was nice looking.

"I'll have a water for now." My mom said totally anonymous of him staring at her.

"You look very beautiful tonight." My mom looked up and her eyes sparkled.

"You don't look to bad yourself."

"I'm Jack."

"Jane."

They both smiled at each other. I could tell my mom was happy. She deserved to be.