New Orleans

"I'm moving on
At last I can see
Life has been patiently waiting for me
And I know there's no guarantees
But I'm not alone
There comes a time in everyone's life
When all you can see are the years passing by
And I have made up my mind
That those days are gone
"

– "Moving On" by Rascal Flatts

Chapter 60: New Orleans

True to his word, Tom stayed with me. Freya could not believe it when I called to tell her about it. She wanted to rush back so she could make sure I was not trying to pull a fast one on her, but she ended up being satisfied with the pictures I sent her as proof.

Two days later while Tom and I were playing video games in the living room, there was a knock on the door. "That better not be Freya," I muttered as I put down my console and reluctantly got up from the coach.

My jaw dropped when I saw who stood on the other side of the door: Eli. I closed my mouth and blinked rapidly. "What are you doing here? I told you not to come."

"I'm not here on your request," Eli said cheerfully.

"I'm glad you could come, buddy!"

I spun around to see Tom strolling over to us with a wide grin on his face. My eyes narrowed suspiciously. Especially after the Super Bowl, these two were definitely not friends. "What's going on?"

"I've got a plan," Tom said.

I frowned. "Does your plan involve getting Eli ambushed in downtown Boston?"

Eli rolled his eyes. "Of course not. We're going to see Peyton tomorrow, but for today, I'll cheer you up here."

Peyton? Why couldn't he come here like Eli? I sighed. "Neither of you are going to tell me anything?"

They exchanged looks. "That would ruin the fun," Tom said.

"Do you want to talk about the Saints?" Eli said.

I glanced at my brother warily. I knew he was deliberately changing the subject, but I also knew that arguing was not going to get me anywhere. I was too tired and hurt to continue. "Fine. Let's talk."

***

"It's good to see you, Lauren."

Upon arriving at the Indianapolis airport, I was surprised to find Peyton waiting for us at the gate. "What are you doing here?" I said, giving him a hug. "You need a ticket to be in this part of the airport."

"I have a ticket." Peyton pulled something out of his pocket and flashed it at me.

"So do we," said Eli, who was standing next to Tom.

I felt uneasy about this. There was something going on. "This isn't our final stop?"

"No, but we should get to our gate soon," said Tom.

I opened my mouth to protest, but Peyton and Eli each grabbed one of my arms and started to pull me along the way. I wished they had at least given me my ticket so I could see where we were going. I was not the biggest fan of surprises.

My mind ran wild with ideas. The only two places that made sense where we could be going was Green Bay and Hattiesburg. Who else could help me out with this current situation?

I began to wonder if we were just walking around, but Tom finally zoned in on one gate and waiting area. My eyes flickered over to the board where it listed where the plane was flying to. New Orleans.