Bountygate

"I am not a child now
I can take care of myself
I mustn't let them down now
Mustn't let them see me cry
I'm fine, I'm fine

I'm too tired to listen
I'm too old to believe
All these childish stories
There is no such thing as faith,
And trust, and pixie dust
"

- "I'll Try" by Jonatha Brooke

Chapter 59: Bountygate

I dragged my legs behind me as I moved to answer the door. I did not know who could be there, and I did not care. The rest of the week had been torturous for me. I could barely pay attention in class. Luckily, neither could most everyone else because of post Super Bowl depression. I reached the door and swung it open.

A grinning Rob stood before me.

"I'm not in the mood," I grumbled.

"That's no way to treat an old friend." Rob did not lose any of his perkiness as he grabbed my arm and pulled me into the living room.

"Freya's not here."

"I'm here to see you." We stood facing each other, blinking.

"Yes?" I said after a minute of silence. "What do you want?"

Rob's smile finally faded, and he looked at me with concern. "I'm just worried about you. I think we should have some fun to get your mind off of everything. Are you up for a game?" He motioned to my TV.

I hesitated. I was really not in the mood, but I knew he was only trying to help. Plus, he must be upset about breaking up with Freya. Perhaps this could be good for both of us. I forced a smile and nodded. "Sure. But I'm going to beat you."

Rob flashed me a grin. "That's the spirit! I'm not going to go easy on you."

I felt a little better as he popped in a game. With everything going on, I knew I needed my friends now more than ever.

***

I gradually pieced my life back together. After a week, I was motivated enough to think about my future. I knew for sure that I would be going to Green Bay at the end of the year. It would be sad to leave Foxborough, but there were too many painful memories here for me to stay.

At the end of February, I decided it was time I get back into contact with Aaron. We had texted each other a few times, but I knew we needed more. My heart pounded as I held my phone to my ear, waiting for him to pick up.

"Hello?" he said. "Lauren?"

I swallowed my nerves and forced myself to speak. "Hi, Aaron. How's it going?"

"Not bad. I'm enjoying the offseason. How about you?"

"Well, I've decided to go to Green Bay. Would that be all right with the team?"

"Sure it would. I've already talked to Coach McCarthy. The idea doesn't thrill him, but he agrees you could be useful."

I smiled slightly. "That's good." I paused. "Are you less than thrilled to have me?"

There was a period of silence that lasted way too long. I thought he was going to reject me until I heard him speak again. "I am happy to have you back, Lauren. I know we had problems in the past, but I think we can work through them. I've always thought of you as a friend, and I don't want to stop now, even if that's all we'll ever be."