Changes

This world's gone crazy, and it's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
And in a moment they can choose to walk away
Love 'em anyway

– “Anyway” by Martina McBride

Chapter 39: Changes

            Rob returned to Massachusetts the day after I got back from Mississippi. At Freya’s prompting, I immediately invited him over to dinner. By this time, both my roommate and I had gotten better at cooking. We prepared a nice spaghetti and meatball meal with chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I was rather proud of our work.

            A grin swept across my face when I heard the doorbell ring. I ran to the door and opened it. “Hey, Gronk!” I said happily upon seeing my friend.

            Rob grinned right back at me. “Hi, Lauren. How have you been?” He looked past me. “Hello, Freya.”

            “Hi, Rob,” said Freya.

            “I’ve been good,” I said, moving back from the door so he could enter the apartment. “I just got back from visiting Eli and Abby. They had their baby, and they asked me to be the godmother.”

            “That’s great, Lauren!” Rob said brightly. “What’s the baby’s name?”

            “Ava,” I said fondly. “She’s so cute.” I smiled, remembering how I had held her in my arms.

            Freya nudged me and whispered, “You have to find a husband first.”

            I looked down and blushed furiously. I did not want to even dignify her with a response.

            Rob laughed. “How are you doing, Freya?”

            “I’ve been great!” Freya said. “Unlike my friend here, I’ve found a boyfriend, and he’s wonderful! Jamie is everything I could ask for.”

            Rob smiled slightly. “That’s great.” He turned his head in the direction of the kitchen. “Are we ready to eat?”

            “Yep,” I said. I led the way into the kitchen, and the other two followed. Freya helped me move the food to the table, which was already set. I sat next to Rob, who sat across from Freya.

            “This looks good,” Rob said. “It’s about time you two learned how to cook.”

            I rolled my eyes. “Thanks.”

            We continued to talk amiably throughout the meal. I tried to stop Freya from talking about Jamie since I thought it rude, but she kept bringing it up. Was that what it was like to be in love? I could wait on it.

            Rob especially enjoyed the cookies. He grabbed a few of them as he left for the night. “Thanks for having me over, ladies,” he said, winking at us as he exited the apartment.

            “He’s crazy,” I said to my roommate, who stood beside me. Like my brothers.

            Freya smirked. “That’s why you’re friends.”

            I blinked. “Right.” Maybe there was something to that.

***

            Peyton and Ashley had twins two days later, a boy and a girl named Marshall and Mosley. I was very excited for them, and I made plans to visit them in Indianapolis the following weekend to give them a chance to settle down.