Chapter 31

Zack's POV

I felt lighter, happier already and as I drove to my Mom's place I felt like I was floating. The biggest load had been lifted off me and it felt wonderful.

I sat down and explained everything to her, she was understanding, I knew she would be.

"I just want you to be happy." She told me, hugging me.

I was happy with Meaghan once, but something had gone wrong and being married to her had become a chore. I was glad my mother understood that.

I told her about Samantha. I didn't tell her much, just that I'd met someone else, someone else that I wanted to pursue a relationship and she supported me. My mother was a wonderful person, she really was.

I collected Junior and some stuff, then headed over to Samantha's. I had everything we needed to spend the night. Was I being forward? Assuming Samantha wanted us to stay. I mean I came with baggage and I smiled at my baggage as he gurgled in his seat. How could she not love him?

We arrived and I grabbed everything, heading to the door.

God she was beautiful and even though it had only been a few hours I realised I'd missed her and those feelings reaffirmed to me that I had made the right decision. Sam was where I was meant to be.

She helped me with Junior and we sat around talking. Aubrey was there, but she looked pretty terrible actually, and her mood, well it was black.

"She's just upset." Samantha whispered at one point. "I mean I can't blame her."

I nodded, I couldn't blame her either and I just hoped Matt figured out his life soon and stopped leading Aubrey along.

Speaking of Matt, I thought to myself as my phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered frowning, wondering what Matt wanted, wondering if he knew I was at Aubrey's house.

"Jesus Zack." He mumbled and he sounded weird. "I need......I.......help."

"What?" I snapped, my chest tightening, he just didn't sound right. "You're not making any sense."

"Zack." Matt said again. "I need you to get me, my head." And I noticed his speech was slurred.

"Wait, stay on the line with me, I'm coming over."

Something was wrong with Matt, something bad and I was more than a little concerned for him.

I quickly explained things to Sam under the glaring eye's of Aubrey and I kissed her quickly, running to my car.

"Matt." I snapped, starting it. "What's going on?"

"Ugh, she's lost it." He groaned and then I heard her yelling in the background.

"Get off the fucking phone." She screamed at him. "Who is it? Your little whore?"

I heard a strange thump and then Val got on the phone.

"Who is this?" She snapped, sounding ferocious.

"It's me Val." I said quickly. "Put Matt on." And even as I asked I was pulling up out the front of their house.

"Oh." She laughed. "He's a little indisposed."

I didn't argue with her, I hung up the phone, running up the path and opening the door.

The place was a fucking mess, stuff was everywhere, smashed, thrown and I got a bad feeling just looking at it.

"Just let me leave." I heard Matt groan and I followed the sound of his voice.

The scene that greeted me was more than a little horrifying. Matt was cowering and Val was standing over him with a baseball bat, a baseball bat that she'd obviously already used on him, several times.