Chapter 36

Matt's Pov

When I woke up I felt disoriented. My head was killing me and I felt like I might puke, it felt like I had the worst hangover of my entire life, but worst of all when I first opened my eyes I didn't know where I was.

Then it hit me.

I was at Aubrey's and I didn't have a hangover.

I was recovering from a  concussion inflicted by my soon to be psychotic ex-wife.

God the nerve of her. No matter how many times I tried I couldn't wrap my head around what she had done to me.

I really didn't know her anymore. That wasn't the woman I had married. Not by far.

I looked around catching my bearings.

Aubrey wasn't in bed with me, the sight of me probably made her sick unfortunately.

God I had hurt Aubrey  so bad with my procrastination of leaving Val. I tried my best to make her see who she really was and maybe now it was too much for her, seeing me like this.

Worse of all she was probably against pursuing anything with me for fear of what Val would do to her. For fuck's sake look what she did to me. She could possibly kill Aubrey.

That thought made me sick. Val touching Aubrey in any way. I would stop it before it happened no matter what that meant for me. Another concussion or worse it didn't matter. Anything to protect Aubrey. Anything at all. Just hopefully not having to walk away from her.

Aubrey finally walked back into her room looking at me cautiously.

"Oh you're awake." She smiled perching herself on the side of the bed looking over me.

"Yeah I am" I muttered through the pain searing through my head.

"How are you feeling?" Aubrey asked me checking my pulse going into full nurse mode.

"I'm okay I guess, I have a migraine." I mumbled looking at her.

"I bet, I have aspirin." Aubrey said standing up looking into her bedside table handing me some tablets from a bottle.

"I think we need to talk." I whispered swallowing the pills with no water. I didn't want her to walk out of the room again.

"I think we do too" She nodded whispering.

"I'm honestly sorry about everything." I began "But I meant every word I said I want you, no matter what it takes, a million beatings whatever." I state looking at her.

"What about your wife?" Aubrey asked me tears forming her eyes.

"Soon to be ex-wife." I clarified, "What about her? Its over look what she did." gesturing to my broken and bruised body.

"Exactly, she isn't through with you." Aubrey exclaimed as a tear slid down her cheek "Look what she did to you. Just because you tried to leave. What would she do to me? To your children? Your family?"

"I don't care what she does to me. The worse she could do is try to take my boys or worse you so don't let her." I assured her.

"I care what she does to you. Matt have you seen yourself?" Aubrey cried " You're probably lucky you were able to call Zack she could have killed you. If Zack would not have got to you when he did you probably would be dead right now"

"But she didn't and I'm here where I should be." I whispered wiping the tears off of Aubrey's face gently.

"What about your boys? What about them? You said last night your mom had them and you didn't want her to see you like this, but if you wife gets there before you, your mom would let her have them." Aubrey whispered fear mangling her words.