Chapter 35

Zack's POV

I slept soundly, like a log and when I finally woke up I realised I hadn't heard Junior wake up at all and I quickly rolled over, looking at the crib. It was empty and I guessed Sam had Junior.

I wished she'd woken me up, I thought sitting up, I mean he wasn't really her responsibility, but it felt kind of nice knowing she was showing an interest in him.

I got up, using the bathroom then heading down the hall quietly. I called out to Sam and found her and Junior in the living room together. Junior was asleep, and more importantly, he looked happy and content.

I kissed her cheek, taking my son from her arm's and kissing his forehead before taking him back to the room and placing him in his crib. He would probably sleep for a couple hours. He enjoyed his sleep, he really did.

I walked back out, past Aubrey's room, and I could hear soft voices. I guess her and Matt were talking at least, that was Good. Poor Matt, he'd certainly taken a beating and I was glad Aubrey had relented and was speaking to him again.

"Breakfast?" Sam asked as I walked back out.

"Sounds great." I said following her into kitchen.

She started pulling things out and cooking while I made some coffee, pouring myself a cup and sitting down and watching her.

"So how's Aubrey and Matt?" I asked her, smiling, just looking at her made me smile.

Samantha shrugged. "I'm not really sure." She said softly. "Aubrey seems a little overwhelmed."

"Hopefully they can work things out." I told her and I hoped they did, it was plainly obvious that Aubrey made Matt happy, I guess that was something Aubrey needed to realise.

"Hopefully." Sam said, getting out some plates. "Do you want to see if they want breakfast?"

I nodded standing up. "Sure."

"Knock first." She said quickly. "I mean who knows what they're doing."

I chuckled, walking out. "There's not enough noise for that." I laughed, remembering the racket they made the first night we met the girls.

"Stop." I heard Sam giggle as I walked up the hall.

I tapped on the door softly and waited.

"Yeah." Matt called out and his voice sounded a little nasally.

I opened the door, sticking my head in. Matt was still in bed, laying there and Aubrey was sitting on the edge and clearly she'd been crying.

"Um, breakfast is almost ready if you want some." I told them quickly.

Obviously I'd disturbed something and I felt kind of bad.

"We'll be out soon." Aubrey murmured, wiping at her face and I watched as Matt took her hand, squeezing it.

I closed the door again, heading back into the kitchen.

"They're talking." I told Sam, sitting down. "I kind of interrupted."

She nodded, handing me a plate. "Eat up." She told me.

I smiled as she sat next to me and I leaned over, kissing her softly.

"I was thinking." I murmured. "After breakfast, I might quickly go home and grab some more of mine and Juniors stuff."

She nodded, frowning a little. "Okay."

"Well yeah." I mumbled. "I mean that is if you don't mind us staying here, I mean if you do we can stay at my Mom's or something."

"Zack." She said softly. "I don't mind, really."