+thirty-six

The girls took their seats around on the prosecution's side of the court. Yeri held onto Jungkook's hand, with a hard grasp. All of the sudden, his hand flinched. Yeri examined his face to see that he was looking at the other side of the court. Jungkook's eyes were locked with an older couple and their eyes looked like they were about to burn a hole into Jungkook's body. 

"Who is that?" Yeri whispered in Jungkook's ear. 

Jungkook broke the stare and looked at Yeri without much certainty. "It's Jimin's parents." 

Yeri bit her lip and nodded. Since Jimin and Jungkook were friends before all of this happened, so they must've seen Jungkook as someone who betrayed their son. That Jungkook should've been on the side of his long friend instead of a girl that he suddenly fell in love with. 

Jungkook rubbed her arm and she tried to control her breathing. This wasn't the place for her to get a panic attack. She had to withstand this. 

Before long, the judge approached the bench and the court rose to their feet. Everyone was seated when they were told so. The judge directed her attention to the prosecution. "Do you have any opening statements?" 

The prosecution rose to her feet and offered a small smile. "The defense and prosecution would like to directly move to questioning our first witness." 

The judge rose an eyebrow. "That is very unconventional, Ms. Kim." 

"I realize that, Your Honor, but we believe that we should provide the evidence of the case before we reach the conclusion." The young woman explain. 

The judge shrugged. "That is your right." 

The prosecution continuously called up the girls one by one so that they can get their side of the story. The fact that Yeri had a vision and they all evacuated the building before they would get hurt and the bomb went off. There wasn't much to their story, since they weren't too involved with Jimin directly. 

Finally Koeun was called up to the stand. She was sworn in and took a seat in the box. The prosecution asked for her  to introduce herself. "I am Koeun and I am Kim Yerim's best friend." 

"How long have you been Yerim's friend?" The prosecution asked. 

"Since 6th grade when I became a trainee at SM Entertainment." Koeun glanced over to Yeri. 

"So you two have been close ever since?" She asked. 

Koeun nodded. "Almost like sisters." 

"Can you tell me the first time that the defendant, Park Jimin, addressed Yerim?" The prosecution turned and glanced back at Jimin. 

Koeun thought for a second. "About a year and a half ago." 

"How did Yerim get to know the defendant?" The prosecution asked. 

"Objection, your honor!" The defense lawyer leaped to his feet. "How about instead of the friend of the victim answering these questions, we ask her to the stand to answer these questions directly?" 

"I'll allow it." The judge said. "The witness will not answer any other questions unless it directly relates to her own experiences with the  defendant." 

The prosecution was shocked. They were trying to not put Yeri on the stand since her unwillingness was the reason why the first case dropped. Koeun continued to answer a few questions but they weren't what they practiced a few days before.

Koeun left the stand and the prosecution cleared her throat. "Your Honor, may the prosecution have a short recess." 

"We will be taking a recess for lunch. Meet here in 30 minutes." She knocked her gavel onto the desktop and everyone dispersed.