He is Your Son

It had taken Dane two days to force himself into Damien's room, but when he finally did Drake made sure that he was outside listening to every single word. He did not trust Dane like Jade did.

"What took you so long?" Damien mumbled. "Thought you'd be racing up here the moment you set foot home."

"Sorry, I was preoccupied," Dane muttered, awkwardly.

Drake cursed Dane. He was a terrible liar. Damien would know within seconds.

"With Jade," Damien said with a yawn, not catching Dane's obvious stiffness.

Come on, Drake thought to his uncle. If he screwed this up, even made Damien slightly suspicious, Damien could force the truth out of him with the snap of his fingers. Say something you idiot!

"Yes, that's right, she's well . . ." he paused.

"You're really upset about this. Hell, I'm upset about it," Damien sighed, "I really wish she'd just left me out there I mean it would've been better had I died than she be in this miserable state."

"Don't you dare say that!" Dane shouted.

Drake found himself desperately wanting to peek through the door. Dane hardly ever yelled.

He must be furious with you. He thought to Jade.

"Calm down," Damien said slowly and suspiciously, "what's the matter with you? You refuse to see me for two days, even though I very nearly died and even though you usually follow me around as if you're afraid I'm going to perspire at any given moment and now here you are yelling at me!"

"I . . . I just don't like any of this," he said so softly that Drake had to press his ear against the door to hear him.

"I'm sure Jade will be fine in the end," Damien said with a cold laugh.

"I don't give a damn about Jade!" Dane hissed.

Drake drove his fist into his forehand. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

"What?" Damien asked. Now he was very suspicious and now he was wide awake and for all Drake knew he was using his power. "When did the two of you get into a fight? You're usually as thick as thieves."

"I don't want to talk about it," Dane said, "I'll come to say good bye before I leave tomorrow."

"You're leaving so soon?" Damien asked, curiously.

"Business," he replied shortly.

"Right," Damien said doubtfully. "You know I wish you'd just stay until I'm on my feet, just to keep watch over Amon and the rest."

"You mean your son?" Dane growled, with a fake cough.

"Damn it," he hissed, maybe a bit to loudly. Jade! Drake was about to have a heart attack he was sure of it. His heart was pattering in his chest faster than a humming bird's wings. Why on earth did you let him come up here in such a foul mood?

Like I had a choice. He's angry with me. Besides I think Dane knows that you're standing there.

Drake didn't care about that. He needed to hear this. There was a long silence in the room and Drake wondered if Damien now knew he was listening after his outburst, but then Dane spoke.

"Forgive me, I'm tired and completely stressed. I shouldn't have . . ."

"No, you shouldn't have," Damien spat with hatred.

Drake ignored the terrible feeling in his stomach that he got whenever he remembered Damien was in fact his father. He tried not to dwell on it.

"Look, I'll stay to make sure Amon doesn't do anything stupid while your stuck here," Dane said, "but," he began cautiously, "about Drake, why can't you-"