Wake Up!

Dane stood there for a minute, his bright blue eyes focused ahead on nothing, his brows furrowed together. "You saved him?" He asked Jade slowly almost accusingly.

"She doesn't remember," Amon answered for her.

"Where is he?" Dane asked, shaking his head and looking around expectantly.

"In the East tower with Drake I think. Although, I'm not sure if the kid's still up there or not."

"Are you all right dear?" He said embracing Jade.

She tried to stand there rigid as if he were a stranger that she did't know and when he let her go she took a step back looking at the floor.

"Right," he nodded with a slight frown, "I'm going to my room I need rest."

"You aren't going to go up there and talk to him?" Amon asked almost angrily.

"No, I think he needs . . . I'll wait until he asks for me."

Then Dane picked up his bags and walked away without giving Jade a second look.

"He's upset," Amon sighed.

Jade's insides seemed to melt. Dane knew. He had seen straight through her and he was so upset that he couldn't even look her in the eye. She had to talk to him. He hadn't gone to Damien yet, to give her enough time to explain herself, but sooner or later he'd tell him. She knew him too well.

"I'm going to my room," she told Amon. She would go to Dane's room and talk to him. She had to.

"Do you remember where it is?"

She nodded. "Fine," he shrugged.

What will you say to him?

I don't know yet. He's furious.

Imagine Damien when he finds out. You cannot tell him.

I know.

She opened the door to find him waiting for her. "Why did you lie to me? Do you not trust me?"

"You know that's not why! Amon was standing right there."

"You weren't planning on telling me. How long do you think you can keep this from Damien?" He nearly spat.

"Long enough for me to leave here," she answered. "Don't you see this way I can leave without him ordering me to stay?"

"The longer he owes you that debt the more it will eat away at him. You'll kill him! You must realize that I cannot let you do that, darling." He threw his hands in the air and let them land on his head in frustration.

She sighed, burying her finger tips in her eyes. "I can't face him!"

Then she broke down into tears, falling to the floor. Crying so hard that she was trembling.

He sighed extremely loudly, letting his hands fall down to his side. "Yes, you can," he said gently, sitting on the floor beside her. "I'll be there with you."

"NO!" She cried even harder. "No, you can't be there for me because you don't understand how afraid of him I am. How weak compared to him I am and how much he despises me. He would kill me if you'd let him and," she sobbed, "and Drake won't be there for me because even though he has been afraid of him before, he couldn't care less about me!"

"Jade," he said gently, scooping her up with his arms and holding her in his lap, like a father would a daughter. "Shh, it's all right," he said, trying to calm her. "Jade, I'll let you play these charades, but you mustn't leave my brother here to die. You must find your courage eventually. Do you understand?"