Getting Answers

That was the last thing she remembered before jolting awake, finding herself in the bed in Erik's room, laying down with her head on a pillow and the sheets pulled over her. She must've fallen asleep and Erik had carried her home. Laughing to herself, she could imagine that Drake hadn't been very pleased with that. She wondered what time it was and tried to move her arm to get up, but quickly found out that it was pinned to her side because Drake had one of his arms wrapped around her from where he lay beside her. There was no possible way that she could fall back asleep like that so she whispered, "Drake wake up."

"What?" He moaned, not moving a muscle. So Jade gave him a hint as she tried to move her arm once more. "Oh," he muttered angrily, "my bad. The bed only fits one damn person, yet alone two Jade!"

"Don't yell," she insisted, "you'll wake Erik."

"Wouldn't want to do that," he responded sarcastically as he flipped himself over so that his back was now facing her. Then suddenly there was a loud thud followed by a series of shouts and curses. Jade felt the pain rush along the right side of her body, where Drake had hit the hard wooden floor. From the couch across the room there was a sigh.

She waited to hear the screaming of the springs in the bed as Drake stepped back into bed, but there was none and after a while she finally asked, "Drake, are you going to sleep on the floor?"

"Well, I certainly don't want to invade your personal space!" He hissed.

"Get back up here and stop being a baby," she muttered, "the floor has to be ice cold."

"No, no," he insisted, "I would rather die on this freezing floor in the dark of night than, God forbid it, touch you."

Jade rolled her eyes at his sarcasm and whispered, "Drake you won't get any sleep there on the floor and we both know how you get when you don't get any sleep. So, please get up here!"

She heard him shuffle to his feet and then the loud screeching of the old bed. He laid down so close to her that she could taste his breath on her lips. A cold chill of air ran over Jade's body as he swung the sheets into the air and then recovered the both of them.

I want to ask you something, she thought to him.

Oh and I thought we were just going to go back to sleep, but of course we aren't. What is it?

His frustration made her want to keep silent and simply fall back asleep, but instead she thought to him Why are you keeping my secrets from Damien? He fell silent though and there was no answer. Drake, why?

I he began, but couldn't finish making a coldness creep into Jade as her stomach began to turn knots. Look I did it for you okay? No big deal. Can we go back to sleep now?

You hate me, Jade thought back sourly.

Yes, good job, can I go to sleep now? He was tired and grumpy and wanted her to shut-up. She knew that, but-

Then why did you do it? She persisted. It was bothering her to death.

With a loud moan, he flipped back over to face her, because maybe I felt sorry for you? Am I not aloud to feel sorry for you, Jade?

You aren't supposed to feel anything for me, she thought back angrily, trying to see him in the dark, but the only sign that he was there was his steady breathing in her face.

He sat up quickly, folding his legs so that he didn't kick her. Are you seriously worried that I might gain any kind of feelings for you? Are we really having this conversation? I can barely tolerate you and you know that. My mind is an open book to you. Go on ahead look through the pages because the only word that you'll find by your name is annoyance maybe hatred, but that's all Jade.