Friendship

"Listen to me!" Alastair pleaded with Damien. He had grabbed him by the hand and yanked him closer to him. He seemed completely frazzled.

"What do you want old man?" Damien hissed, jerking his hand out from Alastair's in disgust.

"You must either stay the hell away from Lyra or command your father to never harm her directly or indirectly!" He almost seemed on the verge of tears, he spoke so passionately. "He's mad! He want's her dead and believe me if you don't act, she soon will be!"

Damien smiled gently, although his eyes were lit with an icy fear, "I will not command anything of the sort from him," he scoffed. "But," he began more solemnly, "I do understand your point. I will stay away from Lyra and to ensure that this will divert all of my father's attention away from her, I will make certain that she hates me more than she has ever hated anything before because I don't think I could stand to see her die."

"My boy, if you care for her that much," Alastair frowned, "why don't you simply order your father-"

"No!" Damien whispered, panic rising in his voice as his entire body went stiff with fear. Drake looked down to find his hands tugging down on his sleeves neurotically. His breathing began to quicken and Drake was wondering if he might hyperventilate.

"Damien," Emerson muttered darkly, who was standing next to his father with arms crossed. He put a hand on his shoulder gently.

Damien looked up and shrugged him off, regaining all composure, "I realize," he laughed easily, "how that may be of use and convenience to you Alastair, but it ill suits me and I cannot do it. That is all."

He turned to leave and Alastair simply sighed, shaking his head, but Emerson hurried after him, Drake and Jordan trailing behind monotonously. For some reason Emerson had seemed to give Damien much more attention the past few months since that party. "Damien, how do you plan to make my sister hate you," he asked, gravely.

"You'll see," Damien sighed without offering Emerson so much as a glance as he walked even faster.

"Wait a second my friend," Emerson laughed angrily, grabbing Damien's hand and jerking him to a stop. Damien's eyes widened as his body swung backwards.

"Yes," he slammed his attention onto Emerson with full force. His eyes were raging with a dark fire.

Emerson paused, naturally. "Whatever you're planning to do to her, I know a better way."

Damien smiled, eerily. "Oh, of course, I never doubted your intelligence."

"Y-you expected me to come up with a plan for you?" Emerson sputtered.

"Why of course," Damien laughed as if it were obvious.

Emerson frowned, but Drake smiled Lyra's brother was abnormally smart, being one step behind was unnatural to him and probably irritated him greatly. He folded his arms not daring to take off his frown and walked forwards, sending another chilling laugh out of Damien, "Oh come on, don't be that way."

"Why are you so cheerful about this!" Emerson hissed, suddenly stopping, "Anyone else would be absolutely devastated."

"I'm simply not anyone else," Damien laughed again.

Drake bit his lip, having learned to read Damien's laughs as cries of his pain. He did very well to seem happy.

Emerson shook his head bitterly, not noticing the anguish in Damien's eyes, "Whatever. If you even have a heart Damien White, you won't break my sister's heart immediately but slowly. Otherwise she'll be suspicious and your father will swoop in and strike sure. Get it? That is my masterplan."