We Have to Go Back

By the time they reached Erik's home it was noon, but no one felt hungry or like being around one another so Erik left, saying that he was running errands, Jade said that she was tired and went to sleep on his bed after taking off her pricey dress and Drake sat down at the kitchen table, keeping a close eye on Jade as he tried to fix her ring. Holding out each individual piece he tried fitting them together like a puzzle, but each time that he thought that he was getting closer to the final piece, he realized that he'd put something wrong which meant that he had to take the whole things apart again. After multiple tries, he laid his chin on the table staring hard at the broken metal. Sighing he separated the fragments into separated groups, dividing them by what their purpose served. He actually had the entire thing in one whole piece at one point, but when he set down on the table proudly, it crumbled into a million fragments again.

"Do you want some help," Drake looked up irritatedly to see Erik. How had he come in so quietly?

"There isn't much you can do to help," he replied, swirling his finger on the table, making the broken shards swirl around with it. Then he lifted his finger into the air, the parts following. Lifting his other hand, he put them back into the order he had them last. "This is what it's supposed to look like, but," and he set it onto the table, where it shattered, "this is what happens."

"What's this?" He muttered, picking up a small golden screw of metal off the floor.

"Hmm," Drake murmured, angry with himself as he took it from Erik. "Thanks."

He strung all the pieces together, this time including the screw and set it on the table again, where it remained intact. A grin lit up across his face. "Well, there we have it and with plenty of time to spare."

"She's still asleep then?" Erik asked, glancing towards the bed.

"Yes," Drake answered slowly and then sighing said, "this was supposed to be a relaxing trip so that when we returned to Damien, we'd be ready, but I think this has just put more stress on her then anything."

"So you really did come out here for her?" Erik asked, sitting in the chair opposite him.

"Well, I mean somewhat. I wanted a break as much as she did, just not here particularly, but I guess this is better than nothing," he answered, looking around the small, crowded, dusty apartment.

"There's something that's been bothering me," Erik admitted, "how come when she traveled on the train she didn't land on the tracks but on the train?"

"Good timing I guess," Drake sighed, holding the ring up to the soft light cascading from the window and through the dust speckled air, "luck maybe?"

"How long have you been working on that thing, any ways?" He asked as he inspected the ring between Drake's fingers.

"Since she fell asleep and now it's almost dinner, so six hours I suppose," he sighed and then thought to himself I just hope the damn thing works. "Any ways, I was thinking that we'd leave tomorrow instead of the day after, if that's fine with you."

"Why?" He asked with a frown.

Drake reached into the side pocket of his pants and took out a neatly folded letter, which he tossed at Erik. 

Drake, it'd probably be best for everyone if you two cut your trip short. Damien is on edge about the two of you not being here, especially since he's in a terrible condition. He doesn't think that Erik could help Jade remember. Honestly, I think he's planning to try something himself, so maybe you two should come clean. So have a safe trip back. I will see you soon - Dane.

"So there you have it," he smiled sarcastically, "but don't frown like that, you'll see Jade when you visit with your father in a few days."

Erik returned the smile coldly and turned to glance at Jade who was still fast asleep, "She doesn't have a say in the matter does she?"