So then shall we eat

Drake woke up with a terrible headache and the radiant sun blazing through his window right into his eyes didn't help in the least bit. He laid back down with a grunt as he hit the bed hard. However he sat back up almost immediately hissing in pain. He whipped his head around and dug through the white sheets with his hands, searching for whatever he had just impaled his back. Then he found it. He rolled his eyes. It was a gilded spherical music box with four pegs for legs. He didn't open it, but it made him smile nonetheless. He had completely forgotten about the trinket and how its pretty song put Damien into hysterics. He titled it with his head to read the writing etched on the side of it, "Lyra." His mother, the woman naive and stupid enough to have had a child with Damien White. Yet, he didn't hate her. He was indifferent, not actually knowing her after all.

There was a knock on his door sending his eyes shooting up immediately as the door cracked open and Dane's head poked in, "Damien's back."

Drake frowned, knowing what that meant, "All right, I'm coming. You'll fetch Jade?"

Dane nodded, "It won't take long. All right?"

Drake looked away in a harsh way. He knew that he was trembling. He was terrified of being with Damien again. He could feel the agonizing pain as if his arm were being broken all over again. He tried to stop his hands from shaking so hard, but they only seemed to flutter more.

Dane began to walk into the room with a condolent sigh, but Drake stopped him in his tracks, "Stay the hell away, Dane." He flashed his eyes at him. "I don't need your sympathy. Unlike you I can stand up for myself."

Narrowing his eyes, Dane glanced at Drake's bare feet on the stone floor, "But you can't really can you?" He wasn't being sarcastic or cruel, just honest and it sent shivers down Drake's spine. Raising his eyes back up to Drake he muttered, "Like he said you're his dog."

That forced Drake to reach out and slap his uncle hard across the cheek, "Do you want to say that again?"

"Drake," Dane spoke calmly, irritating him even more, "calm down. You're as white as a ghost and you are shaking like hell."

"It's all right," Drake tried to settle his nerves, "I'm all right."

"Okay," Dane smiled at him weakly, "I'll see you down there."

And so after Dane had left, Drake sighed and left his room to walk down the stoned cascading stairs. His shoes, clicking on the hard surface echoed throughout the entire house. From the bottom of the stairs he took a left and then turned into a hallway as his heart raced. Passing the library, he knew that there were only about ten steps between himself and the dinning room, where Damien would be. Now it was five. He took a deep breath and walked in wearing a mastered smile.

As always Damien was sitting at the head of the table, with a cigar hanging loosely from his mouth like he had suddenly become bored with it but was too lazy to take it from his lips. He was leaning back into his chair wearing a frown, not even noticing Drake, who had sat down to his right one seat away from him. Amon was sitting across from Drake, leaving an empty space for Dane to sit by Damien. Everyone was awkwardly silent until, Damien sighed deeply and parted his cigar from his lips. There were dark, heavy circles under his eyes, but he seemed wide awake. Drake bit his lip, uncomfortably as Damien continued to lean back in his chair at an angle so that his head was not on the back board of the chair but staring up mindlessly into the ceiling. Then Dane appeared with Jade, making Damien tilt his pupils downwards to the corner of his eyes to glare at the two of them and with another sigh he sat up straight and placed his cigar on a plate beside him. Dane sat by his brother, wearing a smile. Drake frowned a fake smile and then rolled his eyes. Why was his uncle playing pretend when Damien could see straight through the disguise?