Goodbye For Now

Saying goodbye to Erik before Jade and Drake boarded was one of the hardest things Jade had ever done. They hadn't said much, but simply hugged. Drake had slipped some sort of piece of paper into Erik's coat pocket without him noticing, before he shook hands with him and then putting a hand on Jade's waist guided her into the train. However, she slipped away beneath his arm just before they had boarded and ran back to Erik, throwing her arms around his neck once more.

"I'll miss you," she said, holding back her tears and then kissed him lightly on the lips.

Erik opened his mouth to say something, but the loud whistling of the train filled his words. "Come on," Drake hissed from where he stood at the train door.

"Go on," Erik smiled, "we'll see each other in a few days."

Nodding she took her hands from his and walked back to Drake, where he shoved her into the train angrily. The doors slammed shut behind them.

It was a long time after they were seated alone in a booth before Jade said anything. Drake had merely picked up a book from one of the many shelves circling them and laid back to read it. She could feel his nerves racing and could see his hands trembling each time he turned the page, trying to keep calm.

"You know," she said absentmindedly tracing her finger through the fogged up window, "I never did visit Alastair."

"Hmm," Drake muttered without even glancing up from his book, where he sat opposite her. No one was in the booth with them, thankfully. "As long as you have that ring set for a time after we get off the train, I don't care."

He wasn't even listening to her. So she laid back and watched the scene behind the window rush by. However time was not rushing by so quickly and it seemed to drag on and on as Jade sat there looking from the window to Drake, until she finally sat up and examined the shelves to see if she could find anything to pass the time, almost wishing that she had some other company in that booth other than Drake's. A book at the top shelf with a gilded spine caught her eye. So she stood up to reach for it. Suddenly the train gave a jerk, sending her flying backwards, but a firm hand planted on her back forced her to keep her balance.

"Here," he said from behind her and grabbed the book leaning in closer to her and placed it into her hand.

She sat back down book in her hands blushing, "What?" he hissed, studying her red cheeks.

"Thank you," she muttered back, ignoring his terrible mood because she knew it was her fault that he was in it. "How much time has passed?"

"Barely an hour," he said, "why, do you have somewhere to be?"

Rolling her eyes, she cracked open the book, scanning it for any pictures. Drake was staring at her, even without his thoughts pounding in her head, she could feel the heat his eyes were spitting at her, "You can't read?"

Pressing her lips together, as the redness filled her cheeks once more, she muttered softly, "Not everyone is born into the right world or family to."

"But you've read my name before," he argued with her as if he could prove her wrong somehow, "you wrote your name on the booth, and you wrote Petra's name on your arm!"

"First of all," she said laying the book on the table, "It wasn't that hard to copy down Petra's name since there a thousand picture with her name written below them hanging around her house. I'm not stupid. Secondly, I've seen you and Damien write my name on at least a hundred pieces of paper, not to mention your's and I wasn't the one who wrote it down."

He stared at her dumbfounded, so she picked the book back up to hide her blushing cheeks. However, he reached across the table to jerk the book out of her hands harshly, "Is that why you couldn't find your way back to Erik's? Wait a second. He knows about this doesn't he?"