Despondency

Jade woke to the sound of birds chirping merrily outside her window and for a brief moment everything was fine. She had slept in this bed after she went upstaters from Damien's party, but . . . slowly reality settled in. Erik was dead and she had time traveled. Younger Damien had put her to sleep in this bed and now she had probably traveled back to face everything. She didn't feel like moving and instead ran her hands through the plum dyed silk sheets she was twisted in.

"Jade," Damien's voice called out from behind her, "are you awake?"

How long had he been standing there watching her sleep? "Yes," she replied, not seeing the worth in lying.

He sat down on the bed beside her, "Do you want to tell me what's wrong with you?"

She sat up to look him in the eye and then realized that this was the younger Damien. "Wh-why am I still here?"

"You're ring broke," he replied and then it went back in time.

She suddenly felt very apprehensive as she instinctively reached for where the ring should have rested on her finger. She was stuck here. She sighed and laid back, but really what difference did it make what time she was in? The only time she wanted to be in was the one where she wasn't alone. Maybe she could travel back in time and save Erik!

No, she couldn't travel to a time when she was still alive. Suddenly she began to cry again and buried her face in the dark silk pillows.

"Jade," he began, placing a hand on her trembling back.

However, she whispered, "Just . . . I need to be alone for a bit, please."

 She heard his muffled footsteps through the pillow and the door shutting