A Short Breakfast

Jade woke the next day to the smell of breakfast being baked, bacon sizzling, eggs frying, and bread toasting. Slowly she opened her eyes to the morning light to find that Drake was no longer in bed.

"Will you toss me the butter?" Erik asked from across the room. There was a loud clatter. "I didn't mean throw it!"

"It's what you said," Drake muttered sleepily.

Yawning, she slid her arms down through the sheets, reaching for, her dress laying on the floor. Clutching the material she brought it up to her and changed into it underneath the sheets. Then barefoot she stood up and stretched, raising her arms high above her head.

Drake walked up to her and kissed her lightly on the lips, quickly taking a step back. He hadn't forgotten about his injured tongue. "Good morning, love."

She gave him a small smile, but nothing more, "Have you two already eaten?"

Setting the frying pan that he'd been holding down, Erik answered, "No, come over to the table we were about to eat."

Drake walked the short distance to the table and pulled out a chair for her, kissing her on the head once she had sat down. And once he had sat down himself, he gently grabbed her hand. Why was he being so timid? You scared I'm gonna bite you?

You've done it before, he thought to her, tracing his thumb along her hand.

Because you deserved it, she said slipping her hand away to take the plate of warm food that Erik was offering to her. She knew he wouldn't be able to keep this act up for long because sooner or later he'd let his temper get the best of him.

Just playing my role, he smiled at her and then also took a plate of breakfast.

For some time, the three of them sat in silence as they chewed and swallowed their food. Except for the occasional clink of silverware it was dead silent and Jade couldn't decide whether it was because everyone was tired or if Drake and Erik had had a fight before she had woken up. However, if they had had a fight she probably would have heard it.

Looking up from her plate of eggs and toast, she noticed that both Drake and Erik were in their school uniforms, which was crafted out of a stiff, dark blue material, and decorated with golden buttons. Drake must have picked it up from somewhere earlier that morning. It consisted of a coat, matching pants, boots, and a hat. It was very formal looking.

"You're both going to the Academy today?" she asked, breaking the silence.

Both boys tore their eyes away from their food to look at her. "Yes," Drake answered, looking across the room at a clock on the wall, "and actually we should be going or we'll be late."

Erik nodded in agreement, "Wait, Drake," Jade muttered, "why are you going? I thought you finished the school. Isn't that why you're at Damien's?"

The ghost of a smile stretched across his face as he stared at her in confusion. "No," he laughed, "I thought you knew. Damien had me take an absence of leave from the Academy. I'm welcome back anytime he'll let me come here and that happens to be now."

Jade pursed her lips. Why hadn't she known that? She felt like she did, maybe at some point, but had somehow forgotten, "They let you do that?"

Erik laughed from across the small table, "The school board really loves your boyfriend down there. Treat him like he's royalty or something."

Tension began to build as Drake turned toward Erik, raising his eyebrows at Erik's obvious jealousy.

"They like you because of Damien?" Jade asked, touching Drake shoulder to turn him back to her.