Chapter 29

When I pull away from Daryl I see Cass standing nervously a few steps away. Fury burns deep in my stomach but I stay calm. Daryl looks at me uneasily. I nod reassuringly and he goes inside. She slowly approaches me her bright green eyes, puffy and red from crying.

"I know I'm probably the last person you want to see right now..." She says, her voice quivering. "But...I..I just want you to know that I-I didn't know. I didn't know he had a girl friend..I-I never would have..." Her voice breaks off. "I'm so sorry Katie.." She whispers. Part of me wants to slap her, scream in her face until my throat bleeds, but I don't. I pull her into a hug instead. She tenses at my touch, but warms up to my embrace.

"Its ok..you didn't know." I whisper. I know in my heart that she holds just as much blame as I do. He used her too. I let her cry onto my shoulder for as long as she needs. When she pulls away I guild her to the porch and we sit side by side on the steps. "Wanna talk about it?" I ask her gently.

"Seriously?" She asks sounding a little surprised. Of course I don't want to hear about it..but she's alone here. I'm the only friend she has..especially now. So I nod. Bracing myself for what she might say. She looks at her feet ashamed. "I had been alone all that time...I was scared and lonely and when you and Daryl left I didn't know anyone here. I felt even more alone than I had out in the woods on my own. But Shane..h-he took me inside, he showed me around and made me feel like I belonged. I spent so much time alone I..I didn't want to be alone anymore and Shane he was so nice and funny..I.." She breaks off, leaning her head against her hands. "I was so stupid!" She cries. I wrap my arm around her shoulders. She leans her head into me.

"Shh, no..its not your fault. None of this is your fault. He did this. He did this to both of us. This is on him not you." I say softly, rubbing my hand up and down her arm.

"I..I just feel so dirty...so violated." She cries.

"I know...its ok, come on..let's get you showered and cleaned up." I say, gently helping her to her feet. I bring her up to Maggie and Beth's room. I give her a clean towel and turn on the shower. I get her a clean pair of Maggie's clothes.

"Thank you Katie..." She says quietly before heading into the bathroom. I send her a small smile before she closes the door. I head downstairs and find Daryl pacing around the living room waiting for me.

"Are you alright? What happened?" He asks worriedly.

"I'm fine." I say with a slight smile. "Nothing happened. We just talked." He stares at me like I have three heads.

"'Just talked'?" He questions.

"Mhm. She was just as upset as I was. So she talked and I listened." I say nonchalantly.

"You mean...after everything she did with Shane..after you walked in on her half naked with your boyfriend..you seriously 'just talked'?"

"I mean yeah it was hard to even look at her at first, but yeah. He used her just like he used me. She didn't know any better..." He smirks at me.

"God damn Katherine Grimes...you sure are something else." I tilt my head slightly to the side. Not sure what his deal was. "You put aside your  anger..your heart break to comfort the woman that caused it. She helped break your heart and there you are puttin' hers back together." He smiles at me. "You never cease to amaze me." I feel my cheeks flush as I look to the ground. He places his rough hand against my cheek. My eyes meet his. He inches closer, our faces so close I can feel his breath against my lips. Butterflies swirling around in my stomach. My heart beating away in anticipation. Goose bumps erupt on my skin, like a virgin being touched for the first time. My breath catches in my throat as his lips hover over mine. His deep blue eyes piercing into my soul for a moment just one moment I forget about Shane, I forget about Sarah, and about the flesh eating monsters that destroyed everything I knew. For that moment Daryl and I are the only things on this Earth. I ache for him to close in the space between us, but just as his lips brush against mine someone enters the living room snapping us back to reality. I turn and see Cass along side Beth with a towel wrapped tightly around her hair.

"Feel better?" I ask with a smile.

"Much better." She answers smiling back. "You have no idea how much I missed hot water." She laughs.

"Are you hungry? Can I get you anything" I ask her.

"No, thank you. I think I just need some sleep. I'm gonna head out to my tent. I'll see you guys later." I nod and she heads out the door.

"I'm gonna head outside and she if Lori and Carol need any help with the chores." I say with a smile before going out. I see them sitting in front of a soap tub of water.

"Feelin alright?" Lori asks me as I approach them.

"Great." I answer. "Need any help?" I ask them.

"I think we can manage." Lori says looking to Carol who nods.

"Are you sure? Its laundry day.."

"Mhm." She mumbles not looking up from the pot she was cleaning.

"Well while i'm here..I had an idea I wanted to run by you."

"What's that?" She asks, setting the pot down.

"That big kitchen of theirs got me thinking...I wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. Maybe we all pitch in and cook dinner for Hershel and his family tonight. Kind of looking for things to keep my mind occupied." I say getting quiet at the end.

"After everything they've done for us, seems like the least we could do." Lori answers.

"You mind extending the invitation it would just feel more right coming from you."

"How so?" She asks laughing a little.

"You're Rick's wife. It sort of makes you our unofficial first lady." We both laugh, but she knows I'm right.

"Alright fine. I'll let everyone know then I'll meet you inside in about an hour to start getting ready."

"Sounds good." I shoot them both a smile before turning and heading back toward the house. Rick meets me halfway. He hands me a bunch of rolled up maps.

"I mapped out new sectors..places we haven't looked for Sarah yet. I figure we should head out first thing in the morning." I don't say anything, I just pull him into a hug.

"Thank you." I whisper into his chest.

"Anything for you." He answers, holding me tight.

"Lori and I are planning a dinner for Hershel and his family tonight. You gonna be there?" I ask as I pull away.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Awesome see you then." I say cheerfully before making my way back inside. Our first real dinner with all of us together....what could go wrong..