Crimson truths

WARNING: you may need tissues

Victor Nikiforov

With Makkachin by my side, I travel to the furthest grocery store I know the way to and purchase a few snacks that I've seen Yuri eating before in hopes that it'll lighten the mood. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Who am I kidding? I messed up and poky sticks can't do anything to fix that.

Just like Yuri doesn't want to be seen as Twelve, I don't want to be seen as a vampire. Not by him.

The disadvantage of being 79% human is that my remaining 21% is constantly fighting to gain more power within me. So my vampiric side doesn't show often but when it does... it's really something horrible.

As we walk down the empty street I think back to my not so nice childhood. Life in the Russian Vampire colony wasn't a life for me. I was an outcast. I didn't think like other vampires. I didnt want to fight in school, I didn't want to to go hunting with the other kids, I didn't like the idea of riping a humans skin with my teeth and sucking their blood. I was just dying to turn 15 and get out into mainstream society. I wanted to meet new people, make new friends, form bonds and connections with people like me. Humans.

But I'm not a human. I'm a high level vampire. That's why I was bullied at school, I was bullied for thinking like a human and wanting to be like one. My parents, the teachers at school; they all told me that as an S- Class vampire, I was built to lead.

What they never realised is that I'm only biologically built for leadership; sure I have more stamina, more strength, longer fangs and better abilities than avarage vampires. But that says nothing about who I really am. All I was ever interested in was ice skating and becoming somebody. My dream was always to be a famous skater, not only because I loved the sport but because I wanted people to know my name. So I could have a place, a belonging in society.

Luckily my dream came true.

I'd love to see the faces of my bullies now.

We reach the bridge near Yuris house quicker than I realise and look out to the vast, everlasting sea.

I have everything I wanted as a kid... but right now, I'm not happy.

Not as long as Yuri thinks of me as just another Vampire, just the same as every other one.

I have never been the same as them. I've suffered because of that. And I've worked so hard to push the vampiric streak in me as far as I possibly can. But I can simply never get rid of it.

I wonder if Yuri would understand that?

I highly doubt he would. And I wouldn't expect him to eather, he's human afterall.

How lucky.

He doesn't know how lucky he is to not have to drink from other live organisms to live, he doesn't know how lucky he is that he doesn't have the inevitable vicolence and teritorialism that we have, he's so lucky he doesn't have to live for countless Years, he's so lucky to be free of the restrictive binding that we have, he's lucky he doesn't have to pay such a price just to be part of society.

But his life hasn't really been any easier than mine. He's been through so much;not only did he get bullied like I did, there's also his fathers death, his dogs death, his mother's terminal illness, his past failures... He's alot stronger than people realise. You have to be to withstand all that and still be able to smile.