Wavering Life

Yuri Katsuki

It doesn't take me long to spot Valentino after I step out of the lift. The tall man is sitting in the lobby's waiting area with a turbulent look on his face.

Now I'm a little worried about what he wants to tell me.

Before I can chicken out the brunette notices my presence and waves me over with a small smile.

"Morning Yuri. How are you?" He stands as he speaks, signaling for us to walk to the exit.

"I'm alright I guess" I'm at least more alright than Victor who just cant seem to stop displaying sorrow in his eyes. Even when he tried to convince me he was ok.

"Are you flying today?"

"Yea, in like three hours"

"I won't keep you too long, care for some coffee?" when I look up I realise we've stopped infront of the cafe by the hotel and have no choice but to nod at the kind offer.

"Thank you."

After ordering our drinks and sitting at a corner table by the window where nobody is around Valentino appears to be ready to stop being conversational and start being serious;

"Yesterday... after you passed out, I remembered there's another way to lift the curse" my eyes open like plates at his words;

"As in I won't die in a year?"

"Yes, you'll be completely free" I almost jump out of my chair with excitement as I feel light bulbs switch on behind my eyes for the first time in a while. Victor was right; there are more options out there.

"You see, some years ago princess Sara allowed me access to the sacred library and I remember reading in a book something about the Abnormis curse. It said..." I hold my breath as the Viologist tries to surface thoughts from deep in his brain;

"A slave can only be free at the peril of his master."

Fuck. Murder really is the way.

"So if Yakov dies I can be free?"

"Precisely." He calmly sips his coffe, waiting for me to say something.

"What if that's not true?"

"It's possible. But you won't know until you try... Listen Yuri, I'm a rather religious follower of the law but with your situation... I think you should really consider killing him" he whispers.

"It's not so straight forward. Even Victor, an S-class, couldn't just stroll in and have an Emperors head"

"How about Lord Nikiforov? Is Victor close with him?" I frown at the English Italian.

"Lord Nikiforov?"

"Yea. His father." He eyes me cureously as if I was supposed to know what he means.

"He never said his dad is a Lord..."

To be fair, why would he? He hates his father, his past. I doubt he'd even tell me the man's name if I asked. Not that I would ask, it's too out of line considering the type of relationship or lack of thereof they have.

"That's out of the question" I say a little more firmly then intended. Valentino responds unexpectidly; as if he's just discovered something.

"Well... you have this information... what happens now?" He attentively leans forward, expecting me to speak.