Chapter Twenty Two : "The Return" (Mid-Book Finale)

I can hear a girl's voice calling out my name, "Ben! ... wake up Ben!" I don't know who it is, but I think it's Allison. I opened my eyes and saw her face staring down on me. "It's all over Ben" she uttered, smiling. I sat up and looked around ... we're in the middle of what it seems like a field full of lavenders.

 "What do you mean 'it's over'?" I asked her, standing up. Where the hell are we?

 "The fight is over Ben .. there's no hurting, no more pain and suffering" she said as she got up and hugged me from behind. "Where's Dad? .. Where's Charlie?" I asked, turning around only to see her smiling. "They're somewhere else ... now Ben, can I ask you something?" she replied.

 "Sure, what is it?" I asked.

 "Is the Volm Weapon complete? Where do you want to go for a vacation?" she asked.

 "Why would you ask about that?" I asked her, still not realizing that all of this seems a little too good to be true.

 "Nothing, I'm just wondering. Now, answer me" she demanded.

 Suddenly, I heard another voice calling out my name. So I turned and saw a figure not to far away from us. Allison then grabbed my hand and forced me to turn around to her. I looked at her face and was shocked when I saw her eyes have gone black.

 "Ben wake up!" someone yelled, now I know that it's not Allison. I backed off and saw her veins starting to turn black., all of a sudden she jumped and transformed to a skitter. I opted to run but just when I was about to, I came face to face with the Overlord. I looked straight to his eyes and started getting dizzy, the next thing I can remember is seeing everything go to blurry as I am falling to the ground.

 When I opened my eyes again I saw Natalie shaking me, I got up as fast as I could and looked around. "How long have I been lying on the ground?" I asked her.

 "About half an hour .. I have to pul you to the side so the flying beamers won't see you"

 "Are they still here?"

 "No they left .. what happened Ben?" she asked. I then remembered what just happened, I saw Allison asking me about the Volm Weapon ... but is it really her? Or Karen did something to me that night?

 "Nothing .. let's just continue" I said and then we both got up and started walking towards our mountain bikes. "Whatever that's going on Ben, you can tell it to me" she said.

 "Thank you" I said and then smiled at her. 

----

Allison's P.O.V

 "I can't believe Ben was able tp push the Illusion away. Our time is running out, I have to meet him right now" Karen said while pacing back & forth in front of me. "Ben escaped the illusion? What did Karen do to him?" I asked myself, while still trying to be as still as possible.

 She then looked at the Skitters, they nodded and started walking towards me. "We'll go meet your husband" she said, smiling.

 My heart is beating fast, I don't know what she did to him , but I really wanna see Ben right now.

-----

Natalie's P.O.V

 I just decided not to tell Ben that I felt an excruciating pain in my head when I saw him fall down. I don't know what's going on but judging by his looks, I know it's not good. I asked him about iy but he didn't tell me anything. It honestly worries the hell out of me ... what if he's dying? Or Karen and the Overlords did something to him that night?

 We were still on our journey to Boston in order to get back his wife, I hope she's there. Helping Ben is the least I can do after he saved my life form that wreckage ... and to be honest, I'm trying my best not to fall for him even if our spikes have a real connection that I know he can feel too.

-----

 We've been trekking this road for a couple of hours now so we both decided to find a place where we could stay the night. Nat and I decided to stay in the woods since it's less obvious than just being in the middle of a field. There's no house nearby nor anything that is made of cement.

 "Who do you think is the mole in Charleston?" she asked as I started a fire. 

 "I don't know ... it's not you right?" I joked and then she threw me a huge rock.

 "You know Nat .. just because you can carry that doesn't mean you should throw it to me" I said and she just smiled.

 "Well I'm sorry for my manners" she said then.

 I sat beside her and just enjoyed the warmth that the fire brings ... "Do you think , that if we exist on an alternate universe this will still happen? Our loved ones will always be in danger? Billions will die?" she asked looking at me.

 "No .. that's an alternate Universe after all .. it would be better. Everything  would be better" I said and then smiled at he. Suddenly our spikes glowed, I looked up and saw an alien ship passed us by and landed near where we are.

 We both got up and grabbed our weapons. I proceeded to kill the fire and then looked at Natalie. We then approached the ship.

 It's door opened and Karen walked out with two skitters.

 "Hello Ben" she greeted and then looked at Natalie, whom she gave a quite nasty look.

 I looked behind her just as another figure came out with another two skitters. My heart dropped as soon as I saw who it is, it's Allison ... but there's something different about her. She's harnessed

 "No!!" I yelled as Karen kept on smiling.