Chapter Thirty: "Devil's Backbone" (2 of 2)

After much discussion, we decided to push through. Me and Allison went inside the tower along with Natalie, Denny and Drew while the others will keep a nice distance to avoid being sensed. As soon as we got inside, our spikes started glowing, it means an Espheni force is just nearby. "Nat and Denny, go to the left side .. we'll go here" I whispered to them and so we parted ways. I took Allison's hand as we walked towards the right side of the tower.

 "Where do you think they're keeping him? I asked her.

 "I was in the right wing of the tower most of the time. I never got to see the other side" she replied. "Why don't we go there?" I asked Allison, she nodded and so we made our way to the left wing of the tower which is also they way where Nat and Denny went.

 We are only three minutes behind but we can't see them anymore, but then again in a place like this you can really get lost in a matter of seconds.

 Allison and I are making our way when she suddenly pushed me against the wall and whispered "be quiet". We both watched as two skitters walked by a couple of feet away from us. I noticed that her spikes are starting to glow so I leaned in for a kiss, Denny mentioned that our spikes will also glow if we feel tensed. She needs to calm down so I did it.

 "That was close" she whispered as soon as they passed by.

 "I know .. ready your guns honey. I think they'll see us soon" I told her as we continued searching for Charlie. After a couple of minutes, we reached the end of the narrow way and found ourselves in what it seems like a function hall.

 "Ben, this is not a function hall" Allison uttered as she pointed to the high chairs of the Overlords. "Holy Crap" I replied just as the lights on the walls started blinking.

 "What's going on Ben?" she asked.

 "What's going on is that you're in a place where you're not supposed to be" our hearts dropped when we realized who just talked. I immediately took Allison's hand as we faced her together.

 "Karen" I uttered and she just smiled.

 "Ben and Allison ... I never thought I'd see both of you around in a place like this"

 "Where's our son?" I asked.

 "Don't worry ... your son's safe. He's a special child ... he marks the beginning of a new race. Half human, half alien. However, the same fate can't be assured for you and your wife ... the two of you are very special. But the overlords have already set an ultimatum ... join us or you'll die" she uttered as skitters rounded us up.

 "I will never join you" Allison said.

 I noticed a movement at the evry back of the tunnel they came out from, it's Nat and Denny. "If Charlie's not here ... then where is he?" I asked.

 "I don't know" she replied. That's when Allison lost control of her power, Karen flew and hit the wall. I took the opportunity to shoot as many skitters as I can.

 But as soon as they reached us, I brought out my knife and went to fight in a close combat. The Overlords are obviously not here, we have a chance on taking her out. Natalie and Denny started helping too, as they started firing at some of the skitters around.

 I looked behind me and can't see neither Allison or Karen. I started to panic, "Allison!" I called out but there's no answer. I looked at Denny and she nodded, signalling me to leave this to them. "Thank you" I told her and then punched the skitter in front me right in it's face and then ran away as fast as I can.

-------

Allison's P.O.V

 "Karen!" I yelled right after I saw her ran as fast as she can. She ran towards another exit and I followed her, my telekinesis can't reach her and I don't know why.

 I took a turn only to bump into Ben. "Where is she?" he asked. "She got away. Ben, I think we need to leave." I told him after I noticed something different going on, this tower is almost deserted. "What about Charlie?" he asked.

 "He's not here .. for some reason I can sense it" I replied.

 "Trust me on this Ben" I said and then he just nodded. Natalie, Drew and Denny are just behind us so as soon as we're all reunited, we made our way out of the tower.

 "Charlie's not here" I told one of the deharnessed kids that are waiting for us. "Ben, your Dad is here" Natalie said and then pointed at the sea where a small ship as approaching. Ben took my hand and we all started running as fast as we can, so we could meet them up before they take the tower down.

 "We'll get him back" Ben assured. I just smiled at him, I hope he's right ... I really hope we get my son back.

 --------

 It took us at least 20 minutes to catch up with Dad and the others. "Where's Charlie?" I asked after we hugged. "Karen took him somewhere else" I replied just as Jeanne handed me a Volm gun. Allison and the rest of the rebel group stayed in the other boat and distanced themselves from us. "I'll see you later!" Allison yelled. I smiled at her as they faded into the distance.

 Matt put on his glasses as we all looked up and saw the neon colored web sprawled across the sky.

 Dr. Kadar and Cochise then readied the Volm Weapon, a large blue ball erupted like a cannon ball and hit the bottom left leg of the tower. Nothing happened.

 "Dad!" Hal yelled after two beamers came out and started heading our way. They all fired at them while I readied the Volm gun.

 I pulled the trigger and it hit one of the beamers who crashed into nearby bridge. The other one also fell down and is now submerged in water. All of a sudden, we heard a loud bang and the tower is now falling apart.

 Matt looked up and said that the grid is gone. I looked at Dad as everyone started celebrating, we might win this war after all.