Chapter Twenty Nine: "Devil's Backbone" (1 of 2)

Allison's P.O.V

 The cold breeze of air is enough to sent chills down my spine, we are in the middle of the Charleston Bay, still making our way to the Boston Tower. I looked at everyone and saw their serious faces, we are in for the fight of our lives after all.

 "Kill Karen and then get Charlie" I whispered to myself over and over again. I'll do my best to make today her very last day. She already cost us enough damage, now is the time for payback. "Alli..." I turned around and saw Ben standing behind me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and drew me closer to him for a kiss.

 "We'll get him back, don't worry" he whispered and then smiled at me. "How exactly are we gonna kill her? I'm sure she's with the Overlords" I uttered and saw his uncertain face. "I don't know how but we will" he replied and then kissed me on the forehead. We both looked out in the sea and saw beamers flying away.

 "Oh God did they found us?" I asked as I pulled away from him.

 "No .. I don't think so" Denny uttered. We all looked at the rebel leader and he told us that we're still good, the beamers are already pre-programmed to go on a certain place, maybe to the decoy group.

 "I think we should go faster" Ben said. Natalie nodded and then went to the control room, what if we don't have enough time?

-------

Ben's P.O.V

 We were able to get away from the beamers, the Boston tower is now in sight. Everyone including Allison have already prepared, we docked on the side and got out of the boat. "It's still more than two miles away from here" Natalie said.

 "I know, but we can't go on any further using the boat ... If beamers are flying around there's still a small chance we'll get seen.  We'll have enough time to reach the tower anyway" I replied as we all started walking. Allison ran to catch up with me and the others, I looked at her and she smiled. I held her hands as a way of comforting her. To be honest, deep inside I'm freaking out too.

 I don't know what's gonna happen, I don't even know if we'll get out alive.

 About an hour later, we reached the bottom of the tower. The weird thing is, there's no Skitters or Mechs around. The area is actually clean and silent.

 "This is weird" Denny said while she's looking up.

 "Why?" I asked and then she pointed upwards. The grid is changing colors, from bright neon orange ... it's now dark green.

 "It looks like they're preparing for something bigger" we all turned around and saw that the rebel leader is talking through Natalie. "Something bigger?" Allison asked.

 "They're strengthening the grid. It'll be harder for us to take it down. I think they're also through with Phase 1. Two more phases and all biological things in this planet will die, even skitters."

 "What? I thought we still have three months?" I asked.

 "The development of the grid have been accelerated. We're lucky enough if we passed a week"

 "So you're saying if we don't get this down today. We're all better off dead?" Allison asked.

 "Yes" the rebel leader replied. My heart dropped, the stakes just became higher, it's now or never. If this mission is not successful then we're all dead. I looked at Allison and saw how worried she is. What are we gonna do?