Chapter Thirty Three: "Look Out"

Allison and I decided to take Charlie and Lourdes back to the 2nd Mass and just prepared ourselves for the heavy questioning that I'm sure will happen. We can't leave Lourdes here, even though she's the mole she's still the person we knew. And besides, she's one of the few people who stood for us when everyone had their doubts, that's why I'm not gonna give up on her this time.

 What worries me more is the kid that Allison is holding, I feel a connection with him but I'm not that convinced he's Charlie. He grew too fast and even though he's the first of his kind, I don't think that's supposed to happen.

 "Carry Charlie and I'll bring her" I told Allison.

 "Are you sure we should take her back?" she asked.

 "Yes Allison. This is Lourdes, she's our family"

 "But what if she's not her? What if she's still connected to them?"

 "How can you be so sure that he's our son?" I asked. She looked so offended that she had to cover his ears.

 "What are you talking about Ben? he's our son"

 "Whatever" I replied and then walked away, still carrying Lourdes in my arms. I turned around and saw that they're still standing there. "What are you waiting for? We need to go back" I uttered, starting to get annoyed. She just sighed and took him with her as we walked back to the others.

 And boy was I right, as soon as we got back they asked us where we found Lourdes and Charlie."Where'd you get her? And who's that?" Hal asked. I laid Lourdes on top of a wooden sleigh they made and told him that she came up to us in the woods. 

 "Then who's the kid?" Pope asked and before I could even speak, Allison already answered him. "This is Charlie, my son" she said happily and then gave me a disgusted look. Is she serious?

 "Why does Ben look like he's mad?" Pope then asked, opting to start a trouble for himself.

 "He's not sure this is Charlie .. that this is our son" Allison replied, making me feel guilty. I look at the kid's face and he's sad ... he knows what's going on.

 "Not sure he is his son? Sounds like someone went to bed with pretty Ms. Scott before freak Mason" he uttered. All of a sudden, he floated and was thrown against the wall. "Unless you wanna be engraved on that Volm's butt then shut up" Allison said and so he did.

 I just sighed and walked away from all of them, Hal & Maggie agreed on setting up a tent for Lourdes and also to treat her wounds. I'm thankful that somehow they know it wasn't her who did all of that, it's the Espheni ... It's Karen.

 -------

Allison's P.O.V

 What in the world is wrong with him? I tried my best not to cry but as soon as I'm out of everyone's sight I just broke down in tears.

  "Hey" I turned around and saw Matt standing a few feet away from me. I quickly wiped away my tears and asked him what does he want. "I'm sorry, maybe he's just stressed" he uttered and then smiled at me.

 "Thank you .. I hope so Matt, but we're all stressed. He really just can't accept him"

 "Can I ask a question?"

 "Sure"

 "How did you knew he's your son?"

 "I felt it"

 "Are you sure?"

 "Yes" I replied and then smiled. I know what I felt, it's a real connection with him. He's my son, I know it and I'll fight Ben for him if I have to.

------

 I spent the next couple of hours tending to Lourdes and to Capt. Weaver as to what else we can do to get Dad out of the Volm prison. When we suddenly heard commotions from outside, we got out of the tent and saw Cochise with his father and Dad walking towards us. I smiled and ran towards them.

 "I'm free ... we're free to go" he said happily and hugged me tight. The next couple of moments were spent by The Volm Commander telling us that we need to leave and get out of their way. That we may fight, but we're going to fight on our own. We agreed and then they returned my comrade's guns and we left. 

 Cochise gave me a Volm gun to protect us from beamers, but he also whispered something that made my heart skipped a beat.

 "One of them is wearing a mask"

 We got out of the place afterwards and started walking our way back to the boats on the dock. Dad said we need to tell everyone in Charleston that they have an option, to fight or to go to the sanctuary.

 While walking, I had a talk with Allison and she smiled after I said I won't be mean to Charlie, if that kid is really my son.

 Suddenly, our spikes glowed. "Stop!" I yelled and so they all did.

 "What is it Ben?" Matt asked.

 "Espheni nearby ... get ready" Allison uttered and carried Charlie up to her arms. Everyone resumed their fighting stance, Maggie stayed on the sides with Lourdes who is now laying on the grass.

 Then Karen came out holding a white flag.

 "Things have gotten otu of hand. I think we should do something to keep them out"

 "What in the world are you talking about?" I asked.

 "The Volms ... oh, hello Charlie" she said, greeting him. I turned around and saw him waving at her. "What did you do to him?" I asked.

 "Nothing. I didn't do anything"

 "Now I came here to tell you that the Volms aren't to be trusted"

 "Keep trying Karen, we can kill you right now" Dad said and fired a shot on the direction beside her. "True, but I figured out that you don't trust them as well. And that you don't have an alliance with them" she replied.

 "How can you be so sure?" Captain Weaver asked. 

  "Because if you trust them and they trust you ... you will not be here walking to the docks. You are just disappointed as I am. Together we can make a difference, we'll keep them out and work this planet .. together"

 "Not going to happen" I said.

 "I thought so, that's why I'm ready to go down but you know me Ben, I'm always one step ahead" Karen said and we'\re suddenly surrounded by countless skitters and harnessed kids who are now in the mutating process. We have no way to go. 

 Pope yelled and a fight ensued, I tried to secure Allison and Charlie but they were able to get away quickly. I started firing at the skitters coming towards me but I was too slow.

 The whole world fell into slow motion, I felt a sharp pain right in the middle of my stomach. I looked down and saw a harnessed kid stabbed me with a kitchen knife. The kid looked me in the eyes and twisted it. I screamed in pain and then fell down on my knees.

 "Ben!" I heard Dad screamed and the next thing I knew? I was falling down and everything started going black.