Chapter Thirteen : "I won't give up on you ..."

Allison's P.O.V

 I don't know what has gotten into me, Ben's right but I lashed back in a different way. I know he's hurt and the only way to fix this is if I apologized to him. I turned around and saw him sitting under the tree, he never looked so tired. We've been walking the whole day after everything we have got burned or drowned into the sea. All we have left is the wet clothes we're wearing right now. Our main goal is to find a house, a place where we can dry up and hopefully find another means of transportation and a couple of weapons.

  I just sighed and then stopped walking, I can't take our situation like this. Ben's all I got right now, I can't lose him. "Hey Ben" I said as I approached him while he's busy resting under that huge maple tree. 

 "What?" he asked while still managing not to look at me. I sat down beside him and laid my head on his shoulder.

 "Ben, I just wanna say I'm sorry for what I said. I'm just panicking and not thinking properly obviously. I know I stepped out of the line with my remark about you but please believe me that I don't mean it" I said as I tried to tickle the back of his ears.

 I saw him smile and then he said "You're forgiven , but for one condition". "What is it?" I asked him. "Kiss me" he uttered and so I did. I knew right at that moment that he's feeling better.

 "I'm also sorry. What you said about me is true though. I don't know how to be a parent" he said as he started putting his head down again.

 "It's okay. It's not your fault"

 "It is Allison. You're right, everyone's right. I can't be a father yet. If we get Charlie back , I'm giving the both of you space"

 "Don't be ridiculous Ben"

 "But it's true. You know it's partly my fault" he uttered and so I sighed. This is what I'm afraid of, he started blaming himself again over the things he can't control. "This is not your fault. This is Karen's doing. If you're gonna blame anyone just blame her" I said and then he covered his face with his hands.

 "Damn it Ben! Don't ever give up on us 'ceause I'm not gonna give up on you. Never" I said and then he just looked at me. "I hate seeing you like this Ben. And even if you continue to blame yourself nothing will change the fact that Karen has Charlie. We have to get our son back!" I said in a rather loud voice.

 Ben then hugged me really tight and apologized over and over again. "Okay Ben. I see a foortop not to far from here, maybe we can get something from there" I uttered as we both got up.

 "Yeah. No more breakdowns" he said and then smiled.

 "For Charlie?"

 "For Charlie" he uttered as he laid his hand on my shoulder and we started walking side by side. I'm glad we settled something like that, or else everything would have just fallen apart.

================

 We reached the downtown part of the nearby city after walking for about an hour or so. Allison's right, nothing good will happen if I blame myself for everything. I looked around but didn't see any cars that is still usable, all are either burnt or crushed.

 "Here" she said as we entered a small apartment building. The night will crawl in any minute now and I know she's starving, we need to have a place for the night first. We spent the next minutes, going from one room to another and after God knows how many minutes, Allison found one that has a few guns and food in it.

 "Jackpot" she said as she threw herself on the couch but then got up quickly because she's freezing cold due to our clothes being wet. "Check the other rooms" I uttered and so she did. I collected the guns from what it seemed like the owner's room. The person that lived here is obviously a guy, I just hope there are some girly clothes Allison could wear.

 "I'm opening some canned food. Do you wanna eat?" I asked Allison who just came out of the room, she was able to change her clothes and used some of the bottled water to wash her face. "Sure" she replied as she went to the couches.

 I opened the pantry and saw a couple of canned goods, this will be enough for us for the next 3 days or something. I grabbed 2 pork & beans and opened them.

 "What are those?" Allison asked and when I looked at her, she's staring at the pink colored neon balls of light that's descending from the skies. They're quite bright actually but it's because of the fact that the darkness just fell in.

 "Allison. Don't go out" I said but she's not listening , she moved closer and closer to the balcony. What are these things?.

 "They're beautiful" she said and then turned around and looked at me. I was about to join her on the balcony when I felt my spikes glowed. I knew something's wrong.

 "Allison!" I shouted at her but I'm too late, a loud explosion happened and the metal platform to where she's standing in started to tip over. Allison screamed as I rushed to rescue her. "Ben!" she screamed for help, I was able to hold her hands but she's quickly slipping away.

 "Hold me tighter" I said and so she did. I slowly pulled Allison back to safety. "Thank you" she said as she hugged me really tight. I looked outside and saw the new phenomenon that's taking place. Once the pink ball of lights reached the ground, a not so strong explosion happens, strong enough to make minor damage but weak enough not to make craters. I looked at the bottom of the building and saw that the long metal rod connecting the balconies fell over and that caused the fall of the metal balconies on this side of the building.

 "That's close" I whispered to Allison who moved away from the now open wall. After the light balls came down, a massive airship started making it's way towards the city.

 "Oh crap" I whispered as Allison moved closer to me. We watched as an Espheni Tower appeared at the heart of the city. It came from that massive airship. Along with the tower, more than 2 dozens of beamers started flying around. "So this is how it all begins" I thought to myself as I pulled Allison away from the open wall and took some cover.

 "What's going on Ben?" Allison asked.

 "I think the Espheni are marking their territories"

 "For what?"

 "They are slowly moving to Charleston, I think they're getting ready" I replied.

 "Ready for what? A fight?"

 "No. A war" I said and her face is just filled with concerned and uncertainty. We have to tell them the Espheni are closing in, but if we do that, I'm afraid we'll lose time to find Charlie. What are we supposed to do?

====

That's it for this chapter guys ^.^ :) Next Update will be after it reaches 700 reads :) so make you vote and read away ... :)))