Chapter 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serena's POV

'Why do I even bother?' I think subconsciously. 'What is the point of me even being here? I get beaten every day, everyone hates me and if it wasn't for my Mum I probably I have just ended my misery on that night and would have made everyone happy.' I continue to stare out of the classroom window at the back of the class until I hear my teacher speak.

"Ok class, today we have a new student joining us. Ash? Ash Ketchum could you please raise your hand?" I wasn't paying much attention to my teacher until I heard her say Ash's name and it made me fill warm inside as I remember how nice and courteous he was to me earlier today. He was probably the first person in years who has actually acknowledged my existence without saying anything mean or hurting/beating me.

"Is Ash Ketchum here today?" Asks my teacher asks the class to see if anyone knows. People start to shake their heads and some start using this opportunity to talk to their friends. Of course I know that he is here today. 'But I can't speak up, if I do they might hurt me again.' I start thinking fearfully. 'But the Ash will be marked absent and get a detention for being late on his first day if he comes in.' I start arguing with myself as to what I should do.

I raise my hand into the air to get the teachers attention which she doesn't notice at first until I start to wave my hand in the air making it impossible for the teacher not to see. 'Arceus, why am I even doing this?' I begin to have second thoughts on this stupid idea.

"Yes Serena?" I hear my teacher say causing everyone to turn and face in my direction. To be honest I'm surprised she noticed me, I have never been one to talk in class even if it was to answer a question.

"Uumm...." I begin to speak with nerves filling my body and my head at the ground trying not to draw attention to myself. "A-Ash... is h-here... t-today." I finally manage to say in my soft, shy voice which to my surprise the teacher heard.

"Ok thank you Serena, he must be at Mr Sycamore's office correct?" My teacher responds as I give a shy nod with my face still facing the ground to answer her question.

"Ok then lets get on with todays lesson." My teacher says but I begin to ignore what she says and look back out of the classroom window and return to my thoughts. 'How did I do that? Why did I do that?' I ask myself but the only answer that I could come up with was... Ash?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

I hear the bell ringing signalling the end of class. Everyone starts exciting the classroom with excitement for lunch. Ash had missed the whole lesson and was no where to be seen. 'He couldn't have been with Mr Sycamore for that whole lesson could he?' I ask myself still wondering why I even care about him. I pick up all of my stuff off my desk and walk out of the empty classroom.

'Great, lunch time.' I say to myself while slowly walking down the hallway with my head still facing the ground. 'Maybe they will me alone today.' I say to myself hopeful that she wouldn't see them today but doubt filled her mind remembering that there hasn't been a day at school where she hasn't been either mad fun of, beaten or both.

I finally made it to my locker where I get my lunch out and put my books back in it.

*SMASH!!!