Chapter 26 - Break Up

Tyler's POV

"Well, hon, that's okay," my mom said slowly, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"No," I said, softly, "it's not. I remember a time when I did love him, I know I did. But I can't bring those feelings back."

I put my head in my hands, at a complete loss.

Looking up, I asked, "what do I do?"

"You do think that you loved Troye?"

"Yes."

"Then, I think you still do."

"But how do I make myself feel that way again?"

"You can't. The saying goes 'if you truly love someone, then that love will last forever, through good and bad.'"

"I know, but I thought I did love him."

"Tyler," Mom said slowly. "You leave for Australia with him tomorrow. What are you going to do?"

"Should I- should I break up with him?"

"You have to follow your heart. But we should go out now. Troye's waiting for us to leave for dinner. Are you okay?"

Standing up, I replied "yeah" and hugged her tightly. "Thanks, Mom."

"Anytime, baby."

We walked out and headed to the restaurant. In the car, I sat in the back with Troye and my mom drove us. Whatever happened tonight, I was going to try and relight that love that I have for Troye. No matter what.

Troye's POV

I could tell something had happened while Jackie and Tyler were talking, but what? Tyler seemed like he wanted to talk a lot more but he usually enjoyed peaceful silence. Something was up. We arrived at the restaurant and went inside. Sitting at the table, Jackie excused herself to use the bathroom. Perfect.

"Tyler?"

"Yeah?"

"What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

" you're acting... different."

"I'm sorry, there's just a lot going on."

"Like what?"

"It's nothing. Don't worry," he said raising a small smile.

"I will worry! I care about you a lot. I have a right to worry and quite frankly I'm having that right a lot lately. What happened?"

"I just- I need time to think."

"Think about what?"

He sat and shrugged. I waited, scared that I would cry if I tried to speak.

"Us," he finally answered.

What he said sunk in. "What- what are you saying?"

He sat, obviously upset.

"Are you breaking up with me?" I asked, holding my breath.

"No, I just- things have been different since I've left the hospital."

"How?" I could not believe what I was hearing.

"I remember loving you, but I don't know if I still feel it. I don't really feel much of anything..."

Tyler didn't love me.

"Oh."

Jackie came back. Awkward silence filled the table. Finally, after what seemed like forever, we left. Back home, Tyler went straight to his room. I was worried. Picking up the phone, I called the hospital.