Chapter 25

*Daryl*

We were all sitting around the fire in the barn I had found. It had started to rain really bad so we were all staying here until the storm passed and morning came. I watched as Skylar sat with her legs curled to her chest and had her head resting on them. Even though we were around the fire she was still damp. It was then Glenn wrapped a blanket around her and she looked at him smiling pulling it around her tighter.

"Thank you Glenn" I said.

Glenn nodded and went back to holding Maggie who just sat staring into the fire. She was like a she'll of her former self. My heart truly ached for her I felt her pain. I lost Merle, I almost lost Skylar. I didn't want that pain for anyone  but knew it couldn't be avoided.

I made eye contact with Skylar and she looked at me and gave a slight smile. I was getting worried about her. I could sense that something with Skylar was off but I didn't want to press her on it. We were all on edge, exhausted, the last thing she needed was a shit load of questions. I was brought back to reality when I heard Rick speak.

"I used to feel sorry for kids that have to grow up now.  In this. But I think I got it wrong. Growing up is getting used to the world. This is easier for them. This isn't the world. This isn't it."

"It might be"  Glenn said.

"It might" Noah agreed.

Skylar looked at both of them.

"That's giving up" she told them.

"It's reality."

I didn't really want to accept that but I was starting to think maybe this was it to. This is how it will always be. Sometimes I wished I could be as hopeful as my wife but I couldn't.

"Until we see otherwise, this is what we have to live with...When I was a kid I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer. He said that was grown-up stuff, so I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him. But he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself, "Rest in peace.
Now get up and go to war." And then after a few years of pretending he was dead he made it out alive. That's the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live.
But no matter what we find in DC, I know we'll be okay. Because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves that we are the walking dead" Rick confessed to everyone.

"We ain't them" I said.
**************************
*Third Person*

Daryl paced the length of the door to the barn. The storm has started to pick up but they were still going to try and get some sleep. Carl fell asleep with Judith almost right away along with almost everyone else. Glenn, Abraham, Rosita, Skylar, and Rick were all still awake.

"Why don't you try and get some sleep Sky? It's safe" Rick told her.

She looked at him and shook her head.

"Can't get comfortable. Usually can't when Daryls not next to me" she explained.

Abraham looked at her over the fire.

"You sure?" He asked.

Skylar nearly glared at him over the fire. And with her teeth gritted she said.

"Yes Abraham, I'm sure."

It was then suddenly the wind and rain picked up and the door made a loud bang and Daryl slammed against it. The bang was so loud it woke everyone. They were at the peak of the storm and there was a ton of walkers heading towards the barn. Quickly everyone was piling against the door working together to keep it closed. Daryl looked down at Skylar next to him who was soaked with rain and fighting to keep the door closed. She looked up making eye contact with him until the door threatened to burst again.

We need to get through this.

Was all Daryl could think of.
**********************
The storm had passed and it was morning and everyone was awake already. Daryl was sitting against the wall of the barn and Skylar sat next to him as she held Judith. Daryl watched as she bounced Judith on her leg and have her kisses on the cheek. She would gently tickle her making her giggle. It was good to see someone smile after weeks of constant set backs and hard times even if it was a baby.

"How are you?" Daryl asked.

Skylar glanced back at him.

"I'm fine."

"You don't feel sick or anything?" Daryl asked.

"No, I'm fine."

Skylar refused to look at Daryl one more time and lie to him. She bounced Judith slightly.

"Carl can you take Judith please?"

He walked over and grabbed her and Skylar stood holding her hand out. Daryl took it and rose to his feet.

"I need to talk to you."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maggie pushed open the barn door and walked out followed by Sasha. There were fallen trees,broken branches, and half dead walkers all over the place.

"Should have torn us apart" Sasha muttered.

"It didn't."

They continued to walk until they came to a clear spot with a beautiful view of the sky.

"Why are we here?" Sasha asked.

"For this. Sometimes it's the little things. This is a gorgeous view, sometimes I forget what that's like."

"I see it. Noah, that kid he said he didn't know if he can make it. That's how I feel."

"You're gonna make it. Both of us, we will" Maggie explained.

"That's the hard part."

For a few minutes they say and enjoyed the view. It was so peaceful, so quiet.

"Hey."

Instantly Maggie and Sasha had their guns aimed at the man who showed up with his hands raised.

"Hi. I didn't mean to interrupt. Good morning. My name is Aaron."

Neither Maggie nor Sasha moved. Aaron stepped a tad closed slowly.

"I know, this Stranger, danger, but I'm a friend. I-I'd like to talk to the person in charge Rick, right?

"How do you know?"

"Why?"

Aaron put his hands down  and smiled.

"I have good news."