Chapter 28

*Skylar*

"So what did you want to tell me?" Daryl asked.

Instantly I froze. My heart started to race again. Instead of letting it control me I took a deep breath. Adjusting my gun I cleared my throat trying to think of how to say what I had to say.

"Um, what do you say about a new addition to the group?" I asked.

Daryl looked at me confused and shrugged.

"I don't know. We can take care of ourselves. But truth is we don't need anyone else. A new addition would just be a bigger burden. And I feel things would become more a struggle than an asset" he explained.

My hopes just popped like a balloon. I wanted to start crying. He wasn't ready for this. He doesn't want this.

"Oh, I see."

"Was that what was troubling you?" Daryl asked.

I cleared my throat and tried to collect my thoughts. They were spiraling out of control. I looked up at him.

"Yeah, yeah just wanted your intake on it" I lied feeling horrible.

"Do you worry what Aaron says could all be a trap?" Daryl asked.

I shrugged.

"Honestly no, I didn't sense any danger from him. But doesn't matter what I say" I told him.

Daryl moved closer to me.

"Despite everything going on at least I have you. I love you Skylar."

"I love you to Daryl."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It turns out that Aaron had been telling the truth. They had taken all the canned food and everything they found. We were all back in the barn and now figuring out what was next.

"This, this is ours now" Rick told him.

Aaron nodded.

"There's more than enough."

"It's ours whether or not we go to your camp" Rick said.

My eyes widened in shock. Then Carl said exactly what I was thinking.

"What do you mean? Why wouldn't we go?"

Michonne looked at Rick seriously again.

"If he were lying or if he wanted to hurt us but he isn't, and he doesn't. We need this. So we're going, all of us. Somebody say something if they feel differently"
She told us.

We all looked at her but no one said anything.

"I don't know, man. This barn smells like horse shit" Daryl said sitting against a wall.

"Yeah."

"We're going" Rick agreed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Third Person*

"So where are we going? Where's your camp?" Skylar asked looking up from the map knelt down with Rick.

Daryl watched as she did this and smiled. Even though she seemed to be okay I could feel it in my gut she wasn't. But I didn't want to press her on it since it could really be nothing.

"Well, every time I've done this, I've been behind the wheel driving recruits back."

We all looked at him.

"I believe you're good people. I've bet my life on it. I'm just not ready to bet my friends' lives just yet."

Skylar stood up.

"You're not driving."

"So if you want to get home, you'll have to tell us how" Michonne followed.

"Go north on Route 16. And then? I'll tell you when we get there."

Rick looked down at the map before saying,

"We'll take 23 north. You'll give us directions from there."

Aaron sighed exasperated.

"That's- I don't know how else to say it. That's a bad idea. We've cleared 16. It'll be faster."

Rick stood up.

"We'll take 23. We leave at sundown."

We're doing this at night?" Glenn asked.

"Look, I know it's dangerous. But it's better than riding up to the gates during the day. If it isn't safe, we need to get gone before they know we're there" Rick told everyone.

"No one is going to hurt you. You're trying to protect your group, but you're putting them in danger" Aaron warned them.

Daryl studied Aaron. He was pretty positive what this guy wasn't a threat. He hadn't hurt them and if that was his intention he would've tried already. As long as his people were okay he didn't care. But Skylar she had to be safe no exceptions.

"Tell me where the camp is, we'll leave right now."

No one said anything. Skylar sat down Daryl and she leaned her head on his shoulder .

"It's going to be a long night."