Chapter 30

I just want to clarify. I know I suck at updating I realize that and I apologize. But this book is not over until it says the words. 'The End' at the end of the chapter. It is not over yet guys so keep reading lol 😊😊📖📕
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Third Person*

Everyone got out of the vehicles and looked around. The walls Aaron told them about were real. Skylar listened and heard laughing on the other side. Butterflies filled her stomach and she thought of her baby. Maybe this could be it. This could be the life they could live. Daryl came up next to her and she gazed up at him. The gate opened partly. Aaron helped Eric through the gates where others helped him. For a moment no one said anything. A slight movement of a trash can made everyone alert and Daryl shot his crossbow. He picked up a possum from the tail. That's when the gate opened the rest of the way and they were greeted with a new face.

"We brought dinner" Daryl told him.

Skylar chuckled lightly to herself. She could tell that the man on the other side of the gate felt uncomfortable around them. As he gazed at them almost completely in shock.

"Its ok. Come on guys"

Aaron motioned for them. After a few seconds the group started to walked through the gates. Everyone watched as one of the gates closed behind them.

"Before we take this any further I need you all to turn over your weapons" the man behind the gate said.

No one made any moves.

"You stay, you hand em over."

Rick walked closer.

"We don't know if we want to stay" he told him.

"It's fine Nicholas" Aaron assured.

"If we were gonna use em we would've started already."

For a split second no one said anything then Aaron spoke.

"Let them talk to Deanna first"

"Who's Deanna?" Abraham asked.

"She knows everything you want to know about this place. Rick why don't you start?"

Suddenly growling from a walker averted their attention.

"Sasha."

With perfect aim she took down the walker in a second. Nicholas looked shocked as the other gate closed.

"It's a good thing we're here."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Skylar*

It was my meeting with Deanna. She stepped out and I had time to look around and get a feel of  place. I sighed, I don't even remember the last time I was in a living room. No TV but nothing would be on anyway. I walked the length of the fireplace. There were photos and candles. I kept walking. I picked up a book from the bookshelf glanced at it then put it back. This place was huge bigger than any houses I had ever lived in. Walking around this room made me feel weird. It seemed so normal. I looked out the window at the other houses. They were nice, I had hope my baby could have a life. A good life, a place to grow up just like Judith.

"Hello."

I turned at the sound of the voice. Deanna was standing there looking at me.

"Hi."

"I'm Deanna Monrow."

"Skylar Dixon."

Deanna raised her eyebrows.

"Dixon? Same as your friend down there? Related?" She asked.

"He's my husband" I told her.

She smiled and sat down on her sofa.

"How long have you been married?"

"I don't know exactly. A while."

"Did you know him before?" Deanna asked.

My eyes studied her. This lady was just full of questions. What was her angle? What did she want?

"No."

Deanna nodded and I tapped my foot.

"What did you do before all this Skylar?"

No one has asked me that in a while.

"Does it matter?"

"I know it does. We are a community. We work together, survive together-"

"Yeah you look like you got survivng down pretty well."

My tone dripped with sarcasm. And I knew it, I heard it. I got up and looked out the window again. This place was huge. These houses were like mansions. I always dreamed of something like that. But never had the money and never would. Deanna crossed her legs and looked at me.

"We've all lost people, lost our way, lost our old lives. But we are trying to live" she explained.

"I didn't say anything about not living. We're all trying to live it's everyone MO now" I told her.

"We need people like you. Not many people here have been on the outside. You and your people know what your doing. We need that" Deanna explained to me.

I nodded.

"Yeah."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Third Person*

The group handed in their guns then Aaron had shown them the homes they would and could choose to occupy. Skylar had gone into one of the houses with Glenn. Daryl wouldn't come in so he stayed on the porch, still holding the dead possum, as they looked around.

"Wow" Glenn said as they walked through the kitchen.

Skylar thought the same thing. These houses are huge. And they were practically giving them away. Skylar traced the counter top with her fingertips. Tile, shiny and clean she hadnt seen anything this spotless in a long time. As she lifted the faucet she nearly gasped when running water came out. Skylar turned to see Glenns mouth agape to.

"Running water. They have running water!" Glenn yelled.

Skylar squealed as she hugged Glenn. She shut off the water and looked at Glenn.

"Can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure."

Skylar pushed her hair away from her face.

"I feel...I feel like Daryl...doesn't want to be here. He's putting off a weird vibe even towards me. I dont know what to do Glenn."

Glenn sighed.

"It's an adjust period Sky. Just give him time, he'll come around. You know him better than anyone Skylar" he explained.

Skylar sighed.

"Yeah I guess. He just needs to get use to it that's all. Hopefully that happens quickly."

"Is that all you wanted to talk about?"

No!

"Yeah, thats it. Thanks Glenn."

He nodded and went to explore leavinge Skylar alone. She pressed her foehead against the cool counter tile and sighed deeply.