26 / birthdays and bands

"You're birthday is coming up."

"I'm aware.

"Do you have any plans?"

I take a sip of my water as I gently shook my head in response, "As of now I don't really have any," I explain to the tall blonde boy. "But I'll figure it out. I still have plenty of time to."

Luke nods as he takes a small french fry out of the bowl and feeds it to Bella, "Do you think Jade has something planned? Like a party?"

I shrug, "I mean I guess. She always has a surprise," I giggle. "It's nothing new to any of us. But to be completely honest with you, having a party or not doesn't matter to me that much. I'd rather just spend some time with you lot. But on the other hand I'd like to enjoy some time with the whole gang." I explain.

"Mhm. I completely understand you," he chuckles,"but before we move on from the whole birthday topic," he says. "what do you want for your birthday?" he asks me.

"You don't have to give me anything."

"Of course I do."

"You don't."

"I'm your best friend."

I nod, "I know that and I'm very aware of that fact thank you very much," I laugh. "But you, Lucas are all I need. You as my brother and my best friend is the best gift I could ever get. All my life you've been with me during my highs and lows before I even had Jade beside me."

He sighs, "I have to get you something..."

I scratch the back of my head as he continues to feed Bella some fries, "You won't shut up until I say won't you?" I ask him and he nods.

"Fine."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. But," I start. "Nothing to expensive or out of this world. I swear if you spend too much on me I'm gonna kick you back to Australia, do you hear me Lucas?" I ask him.

"Yes and I think I know what to get you."

"Already? It's been five seconds."

"Of summer."

"What?"

He shakes his head," Nothing." Luke answers as he shrinks in his seat and holds onto the blue baseball cap that covered his blonde hair.

"I know you too well. So don't think you can get away with this," I tell him as I take a big bite from my schnitzel burger and chewed on it as quickly as I could. "Whenever you lie you shrink down in your chair and hide your face. So, Lucas. What is five seconds of summer?"

"Is there a shorter version of this by the way? Maybe five es o es? Don't you think Lu -"

Luke shakes his head instantly, "Fuck that sounds so bad no. Whenever people call it-"

"Ok. Hold up wait."

"Sorry I got a little bit out of control."

"Yeah... a 'little' is one way to put it. Explain."

"It's a band," he begins. "It's an all Australian band that consists of four members popularly known as Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, Ash - uhm. Wait. You probably don't even wanna -"

"Hey guys? Whatchu doing?" I hear a voice call. Me and Luke turn around to see a sweaty Ashton. His runs his fingers through his curls and smiles at us," Hey, Bella." he smiles.

"Nice shirt." Luke coughs.

"Yeah," I smile. "5sos. We were just talking about them. Luke says they're a really popular band in Australia. They seem pretty legit."

Ashton laughs, "I see. Did he tell you about them?" he asks me. Luke sits and rubs his eyes in discomfort. Did he not want me to find out about the fanboy side of him or something?

"He mentioned two members."

"Michael and Calum?"

"Yeah."

"Why don't we finish lunch?" Luke speaks. "Yeah, it might get cold. Ashton, take a seat and have a break. Tell me more about them. If Luke likes them a lot I guess I could put interest in them too. Besides you're really sweaty. Did you take a lap from the Sydney Opera House to Big Ben?" I laugh.

Ashton takes a seat and laughs with me," Well the band was formed back in 2011. They did a few covers here and there on Youtube. The more and more they posted they attracted a huge amount of views and subscribers. They kept making covers until they all made music videos for their own music. They kept doing surprisingly well until they were asked to be in Studio. And now they have an EP out. And to answer your question I actually had practise."

"For?"

"I play the drums."

"Wow. I - that's amazing. No wonder your arms  are toned a lot. Ally did not tell me this."

Luke laughs, "Yeah... wonder why."

"Since when?"

"I actually played for a while now. Actually one night a friend messaged me on Facebook. Asked me if I wanted to play with them for a gig. It was really cool to be honest. Even if there was like ten people."

"You play gigs?!"

"Yeah."

"With who?"

"5 Seconds of Summer."

My jaw drops, "Ashton, what the fuck? You're famous. No wonder Luke is so hyped. His close friend plays with a band and -" he cuts me off.

"Why don't you ask him the real and the only reason why he's so obsessed with the band."