1 / carnival

I drive down the rocky dirt road, the dark sky illuminated by the lights of the carnival. A smile forms on my lips as Jade takes my hand and bounces on her seat. I did it again - she's happy.

"A carnival?!" she shouts.

"What's a better way to end the day then to end it here? I want this anniv- ersary to be one you won't forget."

"You're absolutely joking." she laughs.

I turn to face her, "Nothing's a joke when it comes to you." I smile. I'd go beyond the word beyond if I have to. I want to make Jade feel like the only girl in the world. We never know what life has in store for us - nor do I know what's in store for me or for Jade. But whatever life has planned whether it's now or in the future - I wanna do as much as I can with her.

I turn the wheel and parked my car in an empty space. Jade begins to squeal as a sign of her excitement. My hand reach for the keys and I turn off the engine. Jade faces me and I do the same, brushing my fingers against her hair as I give her a wink, "Ready baby?"

She nods and I can't help but smile even more. I open the door and hopped out, rushing over to the passengers side and opening the door for her. She thanks me and I nod. "I'll give you a ride,"I say. "Jump onto my back."

"Huh?"

I laugh and bent down enough for her to jump on, "Come on now. We don't have all night." She pouts and hops on, "We can't stay longer?" she asks. Her arms wrap around my neck and I look at her. She pulls the famous puppy face and I sigh, "I can make it work. Anything for you princess." Jade giggles and plants a soft kiss on my cheek. God I love her.

I begin to walk towards the entrance, people of all ages surround us and inside the carnival. People of different sexualities at the carnival made me smile even more. I don't see it often and seeing it now makes me realise how many more people could've gone through a problems similar to my own.

Jade's excitement continues to flood through the air and I begin to feel the hype for tonight. I take us to the ticket booth only to encounter the least person I would've expected. Ally.

"Hey guys." she laughs.

"Be honest," I start. "How many jobs do you have?," I chuckle. "From the last time I - well we saw you," I say. "You were working at Victoria's Secret."

"Well I saw that they needed a few extra hands for the ticket booth so why not?,"she laughs. "Spending your anniversary here?" she asks us.

Jade nods and rests her chin on my hair, "Yep. She didn't even tell me."
I roll my eyes, "That's why surprises are called surprises. Because they're meant to be kept away from you until it's time." I explain. Ally smiles and hands us a uncountable amount of tickets.

"Here." she smiles.

"Ally that's so much." I say.

"It's your anniversary. No one will know," she winks. "There's around 100 to keep you stocked for the night."

"For a good soul like you Allysus I would've expected you to shout at us to pay."

"Whatever. Just go and fun have. Stay safe. There's a lot of little fu- bad guys around." she chuckles. I furrow my brows. Sometimes the tiny latina has me concerned. We wave Ally goodbye and walked inside. Within another few steps I pull my head away from Jade as she screams into my ear, "Dodgem cars!!"

"Jade!"

"Sorry." she apologises. Jade hops off my back and pressed a kiss on my cheek before smiling, "I love you."

I wink at her and took her hand in mine. I take her to the dodgem cars and we lined up for the next set. I lean back against the fence and wrapped by arms around Jade's perfect waist. She smiles and I smile back. I want tonight to be one of those nights. I want to be able to re-live our youth and be crazy and get weird. The things we never got to do as teens is what I aim for tonight. If this was us years ago I'd never have the courage to hold her hand, have her kiss my cheek and tell me she loves me. I'd never imagine being able to be here together without being critised. This is where I plan to be as happy as I could make myself and Jade. This was the start of a new memory that would have barely existed back then. Even if it did it would be empty - there would be no fun or laughter. It would be a empitome of sadness. I had to make tonight work. I don't give a damn if there's going people who watch us be us and hand as foul looks. I don't care if act like children. Tonight is for us.

The line begins to move and everyone on the ride begins to head down the exit. I tear ten tickets from the hundred Ally had given us and put the rest in my purse. We hand our tickets to the kind lady who had a bright smile on her face as she saw our hands joined.

"Have fun you two."

"We will." We answer as we head up the short flight of stairs and walked over to a blue car at the back of the ride. We take a seat and we fasten our belts. Jade takes the wheel and we wait patiently.

"Having fun already Jadey?" I ask her.
She nods without hesitation and presses a kiss on my cheek once more.

"Thanks again for this."

"Anything for you." I say.

"Here we go guys," A man speaks through the mic. "Remember to have your arms inside the car at all times. Also make sure you drive in one direction. Seat belts on and feet at the ready in 1... 2...3!"