Chapter 5

Donny

I need to get my Grade 11 report card by 4 pm since my coach, Coach Leo, needs a background check for all of the players. The rookies, freshmen rather, are exempted since they are only new to the high school dept. I'm really excited to meet and train each and every one of them! If only Josh could train the rookies for soccer team as well, but sadly, no. If only that thing didn't happen.

It was around 3:50 pm when I checked my watch, so I texted Claui if she already has my card.

To: Claui Bee

"Is my card with you already? I'm really sorry for being an addition to your works."

It didn't take a while for her to reply,

From: Claui Bee

"It's at the comp. lab, cous! It's just on the table near the printer. It's ayt, no prob with me. :)"

Ooh, thank goodness. I could go home after an hour later. Before heading to the computer lab, I replied to her text saying,

To: Claui Bee

"Thanks, cous! You got me all the time. Bawi ako sa'yo! Bigyan kita ng pogi, charot lang ahaha!"

This won't take a while, tho.

Sophie

Calm down, self. Stop crying. You know it's already over, but why does it still affect you? Akala ko ba naman magpapakatatag ka na? You're stronger than you know, you'll get through this. Laban lang. :)

I wrote this down on my journal while waiting for Claui at the computer lab. I don't want to look like a mess when she sees me, I already had enough for this day. I want to go home and rest. I looked at myself in my compact mirror, my eyes are still red and puffy. Hay, it's okay. But before anything else, I printed Pangilinan's report card and set it aside by the printer. Kukunin nalang ni Claui 'yan mamaya so I rest my face in the crook of my arms on the computer table, so I'll try to take a nap for a while muna.

Donny

4:15 PM

Okay, so medyo late na ako sa meeting ko with Coach Leo. Nasa may door na ako ng computer lab at papasok na din ako. It was really quiet and kinda cold the moment I stepped in, so I slowly closed the door behind me. Nasa may corner pa yung printer so onting lakad pa. As I was walking towards the printer, I was hearing the sound of someone crying softly and sniffing. Akala ko ako lang mag-isa sa lab, but there's this girl, whose face is covered by her arms. I wonder who this girl is, hmm.

I was about to get the copy of my card, but then the girl moved. Shet, medyo nagulat ako. Insensitive naman dating ko if 'di ko siya kakausapin, eh umiiyak na nga. Kawawa naman. I was about to say something na but she first spoke,

"Claui, na-print ko na yung grade ni Pangilinan. Here -", Sophie. She stopped in the middle of her sentence when she turned around and saw me, as if I was a ghost.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were Claui.", she slowly diverted her gaze from me then looks down and rubbed her eyes. Hmm, I wonder what happened? Bakit parang sumasakit din sa feeling ko nung nakita ko siyang umiiyak?

"It's alright, it's alright. Thank you, though.", I looked at her, then gave her my sweet smile. She only nodded in response. Before leaving with a dead air silence, I handed her my handkerchief.

"Sorry naabala pa kita, siguro kaya ka umiyak kasi nautusan ka pa ni Claui.. Mahirap ba yung ginawa niyang favor? Resbak na ba?", I started to joke around kahit alam kong late na ako, but what matters to me is that I don't want to see anyone in tears. Sophie smiled a little and took the hanky from me then wiped her tears.

"It's really fine, it doesn't have to do anything with my tears. Thank you for offering me a hanky, tho.", she's smiling, even though she's already hurting. Time check, 4:28 pm, I got a lot of explaining to do with Coach Leo. For sure, considered naman yung nangyari today kasi 1st pa lang naman.

"I hate to say this but I need to go and meet my coach, I'll just explain to him the reason why I'm 28 minutes late.", I didn't want to leave the lab till she's all smiley, but urgh.

She looks at me like she didn't want me to go. (wow ang feeler mo, Donny), I don't think she remembers me, but from this moment on, I hope she does.

"Thanks again, Sophie. See you tomorrow?", I said and asked, "Thank you, too. Uhuh, see you tomorrow.", she looked at me and smiled.

Like what I said, "You'll get through this, Ms. President. I got you."