Chapter 5

Kirstie and I spend the rest of the day curled up on the couch nibbling at the pizza and breadsticks we had delivered as we watch anything that seems mildly interesting on Netflix. Neither of us bring up the three positive pregnancy tests setting on the bathroom counter or what it means. We just let ourselves be carefree just for a little while.

The sound of a key jiggling in the door brings an end to the afternoon. Glancing over at the clock for the first time in hours I notice that it is already a quarter past five, right around the time Scott promised to be home. Normally I would be eager to see Scott after being apart, eager to tell each other about our days, wrapped up in each other's arms and sharing kisses, but today I just wish he'd go away.

I sink further into the couch, pulling the blanket around me like my very own invisibility cloak.

Scott doesn't say anything as he enters the house, but I can hear the sound of his footsteps and his keys dropping into the dish by the door. His footsteps get closer to the couch. I glance at Kirstie, but she pays no attention to me her eyes on Scott. I start to turn to see what she is starring at, but it's too late I am grabbed from behind a pair of arms wrapping around me in a warm embrace making me squeal in surprise. My blanket is moved away from my face as Scott leans in kissing my cheek lightly as he nuzzles my neck.

"Alright Stephanie, enough cuddles, start talking. How was your afternoon at the studio?" I ask ignoring the glare I'm getting from Kirstie.

"It was great. We kept changing what song we wanted to do, so we now have a couple of songs recorded. It's always great working with Mario, but it was weird not having you there,' he replies as he settles down on the couch beside me wrapping an around me allowing me to snuggle up against his side.

"Why am I not surprised that you two couldn't decide on a song?" I ask with a shake of my head.

"Because you know us so well. Now enough, Mitchie time, how's Kirstie? Did you get bored of Jeremy and decide to come hang out with my man instead?" him turning his attention from me to Kirstie makes my heart sink, please don't let her tell him. I narrow my eyes at her from behind Scott's back hoping that she will get my message to keep quiet.

She returns her own glare, her eyes clearly stating that I'm being a coward, so she takes the choice right out of my hands.

"Actually it was Mitch that called me. He was freaking out earlier and needed some company," she states her voice addressing Scott, but her eyes locked on me

"You were upset?" Why didn't you call or test me? Why didn't you say something before I left? Was it something I did? You weren't upset because of...us, were you?" the sincere panic in his eyes makes my heart sink. He actually thinks he did something wrong, he's starting to wonder if us being together is making me happy, and the sad thing is he would end our relationship in a heartbeat if he thought that it would make me happy, totally disregarding his own feelings.

"No Scott, you did nothing wrong. You're perfect. I'm happy too, I love you, I love us," I quickly assure him

"But you always tell me if you're upset, you always come to me. Something is wrong and or some reason you felt like you couldn't come to me," he argues dismissing my words as tears start to form in his eyes.

"S-Scott, I didn't mean anything by it. I just didn't want to bother you, you've been looking forward to going to the studio..." I find myself starting to cry as well as hysterics builds up in my chest. I'm hurting him, I never want to hurt Scott, it's my worst nightmare to hurt him, the person I love the most.

"You're lying," he pulls away from me like I had burned him. He rises up from the couch hurt in his eyes as he speaks again, "You never lie to me."