The Dark Mark- Chapter 41

The Dark Mark

Chapter 41

                Draco woke up hearing the sound of his name being whispered in the darkness of the Malfoy dungeons. It wasn’t Anna; she was sound asleep, snuggled up against him. Draco looked around and saw a dark figure outside the bars of the cell.

                “Mother?” he whispered, thinking it looked like the slim figure of Narcissa Malfoy.

                “Yes, it is me,” she whispered back.

                Draco gently got up from the cot he was sharing with Anna. She moved a little, but didn’t wake up. Draco tucked the blankets in around her and walked over to his mother.

                “Are you alright Draco?” she cried desperately, touching his face through the bars and using her other hand to light the tip of her wand so she could look at him.

                “I’m fine mother,” Draco responded, he could see the tears gleaming in her eyes. Other than Anna, Draco knew his mother loved him, but he wasn’t sure about his father, Lucius Malfoy.

                Narcissa took his hands in hers tightly, “No matter what Draco, you and Anna must do as the dark lord says. He is filled with rage and anger all of the time lately and he would not hesitate to kill the both of you.”

                “We know this mother,” Draco assured her.

                “Then Anna is willing to take his mark?” she asked.

                “Yes, she is willing, but only to save me,” Draco said sadly, “I wish she didn’t have to make this choice, it is not fair.”

                “Nothing is fair anymore. I am very grateful for what Anna is about to do. I owe her a debt that I cannot repay,” Narcissa said seriously, “I can’t lose you, Draco,” she started crying again.

                “It will be okay,” Draco reassured her, squeezing her hands lightly.

                “I knew it was you who rescued Annabelle when Greyback and Bellatrix captured her last Christmas at the Weasleys’,” Narcissa admitted.

                “How did you know?”

                “I saw the look on your face when they first brought her in the study. You don’t remember me grabbing your arm? Also, she is one of your Hogwarts classmates. So when she came up missing from the dungeon I knew it was you who was responsible for her escape.”

                “Mother, I love her,” Draco admitted freely, “I’m sorry if that upsets you or father that she is not a pure-blood, but it’s not going to change how I feel. She is the one for me, whether she is a half-blood and her father is Remus Lupin, the werewolf.”

                “Draco, I don’t know about your father, but none of that matters to me now. I just hope we all can survive.”

                Draco hugged his mother through the bars, “I must get back before I’m found out,” Narcissa started back up the stairs.

                “Thanks for the food and cots,” Draco whispered.

                “Anything for you, my son,” Narcissa said softly, going quietly up the stairs.