: thirty three :

The word terrified was in no way living up to the nerve wracking chills in Michael's spine that crawled their way up only to constrict around his throat and keep him choking on his words whenever Calum asked anything remotely involving his ex. He hates thinking about the guy, let alone seeing him.

He hasn't spoken with him in numerous months, purposely avoiding him in all circumstances. This was so much worse than finding anyone from his school here, so much worse than his old friends seeing him with Calum. His ex who ruined nearly everything about relationships for Michael was right out that entryway and in the public just waiting to pine after him.

"Is he the one who used you?" The brunette stayed hushed and kept his hands on the paler one's red, puffy cheeks. Michael was tearing up and he can't let him cry, that would absolutely break his heart to see tears fall. The blonde gave a hasty nod in response, "I don't like him, I don't." He felt Calum's hands cradle him from the dip in his back and the boy's non-bruised shoulder and held him in his chest, "I know, I've got you."

Michael was shaking in the maori's tight hug, he can't help but get anxious around his ex, they're the reason he's scared of going too far, he would hit him and they'd fight more than they'd make up. He would tell Michael what he can and cannot do but he'd let himself do whatever he desired and kept going out and drinking then showed back at Michael's house at three in the morning completely wasted. The worst part was that he never even liked his ex in the first place.

"We'll walk out but if he comes up to you I'll talk, don't say anything if you're uncomfortable." Steering the boy out of the entrance didn't feel right but it was their only route back out, the man who Michael despised seeing was tall- an inch away from Calum's height by the look of things, his hair was up in a black gelled quiff and his wardrobe consisted of ripped skinny jeans and a loose white tee under a denim jacket, behind his ear a cigarette was tucked in but the maori doubts he actually smokes, probably just trying to look cool or some shit. The teen was pale and his eyes were an electric blue with deep dimples, always tugged in a permanent smirk.

They walked as fast as they could but he kept on calling for Michael, his voice obnoxiously loud as he tried to push past the crowd walking the opposite way and just reach the boy who was purposely avoiding him with his head down and hand over half of his face to try and hide the fact he was on the verge of crying.

"Michael, what the hell?" An angry tone thick with the signature Australian accent was too close for comfort, a hand managing to clutch the boy's arm that was littered with bruises, it was obvious they were there- it's the first thing anyone would notice about him yet that's what his ex got a hold on and only tightened his grip and pulled him back so he'd stay. Calum was fuming. They were way too close for his liking and it was clear as day that the blonde was hurting, his lip between his teeth as he wriggled to get out of the ex's grip but he stayed steady and strong, holding him in place.

"Don't ignore me like that, you're making me look bad." He kept the blonde close even though his body was trying to wriggle away from him, the pain in his arm multiplying by the second with each tug his ex gave on it.

Michael couldn't even will himself to talk back, he kept his word with Calum and promised not to say anything if he's uncomfortable and right now he's the definition of uncomfortable.

His ex tugged harder on the blonde's arm getting a whimper from his lips when he grit his teeth in the boy's lowered face. "You gonna talk or just stand there? You were always quiet, even in bed, you no good piece of-"

"Don't fucking touch him." Calum's own body burst in between the two, breaking the unwanted bond between Michael and whats-his-name. Not letting that man lay a finger on the boy who was starting to shake again, his body hiding behind Calum's, sniffling a bit as he tried to blink back tears. He's always been sensitive and he hates when his emotions get the best of him.